aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
My rear brake seems to be very sensitive - whenever I use it, I lock up the rear wheel no matter how easy I push the pedal.

Is there an adjsutment I can make to fix this, or do I just need to learn how to use the rear brake?

Thanks!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Mine did the same thing. I put on a flywheel weight and that did the trick. Another thing to do is to use a hacksaw blade and make slices across the face of the brake pad. This will reduce the braking surface and should prevent lockup of the rear wheel.
The flywheel weight has other benefits though as well, so that's what I would recommend.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
How About...

Lowering the rear brake pedal height?

I was in a beginner Motocross class a week ago and the instructor was talking about how people would tell him that they were constantly locking up their rear brakes and didn't know why or what to do about it... He ended up showing how assuming the attack position (leaning forward) or sitting, causes the front of the foot to naturally depress downward oftentimes (for a beginner like me anyway) causing one to inadvertantly put extra pressure on the pedal.

Would lowering the pedal height a 1/4 of an inch or so reduce the natural muscle tension in that position? effectively getting you farther away from locking up the rear? I know you don't want to go overboard on adjusting it, but it just seems odd to me to reduce the performance of a bike part (hacksawing the rear pad) perhaps in prelude to a time where you might want that extra stopping force to prevent fatigue (looooooong downhill?)

I'm the consummate newb, so I may be way off base...

Feanor

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
The KDX has beefy brakes. I think you should give it a while and try to adjust to them. I had a hard time on my KDX too, but now that I got it, I got it when I need it. It's a subtle thing.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If it is as you describe..a light touch locks up the brakes, then you have contaminated pads. Try dousing them with Brakleen.

If you're mashing on the pedal and the brakes lockup...well, don't mash!

Obviously things like steep downhills will make the rear brake pretty easy to lock up...there isn't any weight on it.

Again, I'm assuming that there is knowledge about force applied. If you're used to your bike you should know the force you put on the brakes......even through your Tech8s!

Have the pedal low enough so you don't have to raise your leg a whole lot to 'reach' it. You don't want to snag the edge of the pedal with the sole of your boot on the way over.

Good luck!

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Like 1tontj said adjust the bolt on the rear master cylinder so you have to move the pedal further to actuate the brake. You will be surprised at the difference it will make. Do a little and try it, because like most adjustments you can over do it, but if you are like our KDX group you will be surprised at the difference this simple adjustment can make. Cheers John

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Or another option is to contact EFM and buy an auto clutch and rear hand brake.
Works even better than practicing with the foot brake, at least it did for me ;)

Phil

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom