MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
1985 KDX 200
Rear shock has kind of a dead spot when fully extended. I assume this because it is low on oil. So I took it out to rebuild it. Well after punching that cap of the top of the shock body I realized it was so corroded that I probably shouldn't pull the piston out. Anyways, what I would like to know is there a way to change or add oil through the resevoir hose? Maybe submerge the hoses and pump the shock? Thanks

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
My 88 manual shows to remove the hose where it attaches to the nitrogen canister. Hold the shock in a vise (with soft jaws) make some kind of a container that will hold some shock oil. attach the hose to the container, fill with oil, hold it higher than the shock and cycle until the air is out. Fill with oil. I dont think you had to disassemble unless yours is different than mine. You will also have to know how much oil to put back in. They dont hold much and overfilling will give a one rough ride. Maybe someone has a manual for your year. Hope this helped some

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
I actually have the Clymer for the bike. It says to remove the cap and pour the oil into the shock body. That wouldn't be a problem except the top of the body is so corroded I don't think it could come apart. I guess I'll try pumping through the hose. I just didn't know if it would be possible to suck a full quantity of oil back into the shock.

Top Bottom