Rear shock

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Has anyone used Works Performance Products to rebuild their shocks?
I won a $50 gift certificate at a trials event for WPP.
I weight 160 and I was thinking of just using it to buy a spring
for the 220(2000). Since the stock spring seems a little hard for my weight.
I figure I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone and just have the whole shock worked on.
If you have any input about WPP I would appreciate it.

Also, are there any suggestions on what to have done to the shock?
Mostly trail ride (like the rocky stuff).

Aug 1, 2004
I don't know about their rebuild service but I have WPP Dual rate shocks on our Honda sport ATV and the difference from stock is amazing. I can hit nasties at a way higher speed and they suck up the ugly stuff the stockers transfered to your spine.

They have great tech support. They take time and will explain some of your questions. Give 'em a call they deal with pre sales questions all the time. Fifty bucks off is sweet, use it.

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Rear shock seal

Anyone have a rear shock seal leak out. Mine went out on the trailer while traveling to a riding area. Oil all over the trailer. I called one shop and he said it was common. I've not seen much of this and our group all rides green for years, never saw this before!

boymess

Apr 14, 2002
I ride with buddies who have been riding since Og invented the wheel. They all...without exception...use a tie down to compress their rear suspensions while they trailer them to keep unnecessary bouncing while in transit. Probably not your cause, but perhaps it adds to the longevity. More than likely, you've gotten a stone under the seal lip or perhaps a blown bladder.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Thanks White Knuckels for the input.
Good point Jasonwho about the oil.
Do you guys recommend any valve up-grade or just service and spring?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'll betch'a you would find that the most common cause of shock 'failure' is poor maintenance. It's something that should be done annually for most recreational riders. Lesser timeframe than that if you ride more than that.

I don't recall shock failure (blowouts) being brought up at all on this board in the past years...certainly it's not 'common'.

A shock revalve would serve you well. Necessary? Probably not. Everytime I've had my shock rebuilt I've been amazed at what I've been missing...like I'd forgotten how good it could be.

Determine if your spring is too stiff by free sag measurement. That of course preceeded by setting the race sag. If you're in the free sag ball park (over 1/2", less than 1 1/4" or so), forget about a spring. With all your gear on (assuming you wear what you should be wearing) I wouldn't think you would be much over an inch....

If you've ridden much at all.......heck, even if you haven't, an '00 was due for a shock maintenance procedure a few years ago.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999

Well, yeah.

I just wanted to keep the 'have to' list kind'a short... ;)

But.....you're still right!

Now then, about the condition of that lower shock mount bearing.............. :ohmy:

Cheers!

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Fork springs are done and oil has been change also.(first thing I changed)
I bought the bike used and don't know if the rear shock has been serviced or the bearings.
I'm able to get the sag set right with this spring, but just going by feel it seems to stiff.
Does not set in the truns and is very defletive in the small rocks.
I guess I'll rip off the shock and do the bearings and service shock.
"A shock revalve would serve you well. Necessary? Probably not. Everytime I've had my shock rebuilt I've been amazed at what I've been missing...like I'd forgotten how good it could be."

Can you tell me what you had done (gold valve) or did you have the stock shim stack changed?
The more I think about it I might do the whole project myself.
If I do I'll take pictures and step by step how-to and post it.
Thanx for the beta,
Fred

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
JasonWho said:
Have you tried adjusting the compression and rebound adjusters on the shock?
My friend has a track at his house... everytime I go there I play with the Comp/Rebound one at a time.
The front is much better now that I change the springs and oil.
I know that it still needs a little more work but I am able to adjust my ridding to it. I'm sure this will happen at some point but for now it is on to the rear. If I can get the same results
from the rear that I got from the front mods I'd be very happy. :)
I want to get the kick out of the rear when I go over woops, and the deflection on the small rocks is all over the place.
The back will not set as well as it should in the banked turns.
So I guess I was looking for the same results to the rear that you guys have done to the front.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I had big problems getting kicked in whoops and deep braking / accelleration bumps on my bike. I ended up backing the rebound on the shock almost all the way out (I think I was 18 clicks out). The rebound on this shock is hella slow, and it causes the rear end to pack when taking lots of hits in a short period of time. Just something I thought I'd note, because people were telling me I needed to slow my reboud way down to stop kicking, but that wasn't the case.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Whether it's compression or rebound causing the problem depends on your definition of 'kick'.

But...you knew that.

re: 'Can you tell me what you had done (gold valve) or did you have the stock shim stack changed?'

Work done my MX-Tech. Proprietary valve (well, I don't know for sure whose it is) and a stack that's been changed around a few times...by myself and a tuner other than MX-Tech. Honda 530mm .40 springs (XR) set with 3mm preload. Oil @ 115mm. I need to take some out to get to 120mm, but haven't gotten around to that, yet. MotionPro bleeders sure are a huge benefit! I used to think it was me getting tuckered at the end of the day...but with a pffssssttt of the bleeders (I use 'em many times during a day's ride) 'things' all of a sudden are a whole lot better!

Last edited:

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Thanks again guys for the info.
I guess I'll go out one more time and go thru the full range of clicks to see if this is the problem.
Have just tried 3 clicks in both directions before, and didn't notice any difference.
I still want to service the shock for no other reason then to see if everything is fine inside.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…