BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
Measured my race sag for the first time and set at 3 3/4" (95mm), but the static sag was (45mm), which means the rear spring is too stiff. Novice Rider, 5'7" 155, Race Tech front springs .42 w/ Gold Valve kit, and standard KDX 200 rear spring w/ Gold Valve kit. I set the bike up to ride woods/track. Race Tech recommends a 4.7 rear spring (stock 5.0), but I don't want to spend any more money. What adjustments should I make to compensate for the stiff rear spring?

Thanks
BPJNT :)

Zforty5

Oct 6, 2003
Nothing short of buying the spring from racetech ( or someone else) will help.
Check your spring rate with thier calculator again.
4.0 front and 4.8 rear seems to be closer to what you need for woods/track riding with your weight.

I had the same problem, I am 145 lbs. 5'6". I tried less preload on the stock rear spring to soften the shock which only resulted in the bike sagging to much, losing about 1 more inch of travel, a terrible ride thru the whoops because the tire couild'nt keep up with the ground. I also tried setting the compression damping all the way out to try and soften the shock (did'nt help), also setting the rebound 1 to 3 clicks out to slow that up as well, but that did'nt help either.

You"ll thank yourself when you get the right spring.

03 KDX200
Racetech 4.8 rear spring

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
Zforty5, Thanks for the info., I'll see how it rides this weekend and maybe I'll take your advice and get the softer spring. First ride since Fall, weather is going to break in W. PA this weekend mid 50's, I've been going through withdrawal. Unfortunately I have Terllborgs, but was too lazy to put them on this winter

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Do you know someone with an 89 to 94 KDX200? If so ask if you can try their spring. It's a 4.6kg/mm but should give you an idea of whether you want to make the switch to a 4.7. Right now you're suspension will be quite well balanced with the 5.0 in the rear and .42s in the front, unfortunately it's also a little on the stiff side for your weight as you mentioned. You might try dropping your sag a little further to 100mm and see if that work a little better for you.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm questioning the whole deal.

So short on race sag (3.75") and so long on free sag (1.75mm)?

155 is 'with gear'?

What is the process you are using?

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
canyncarvr said:
I'm questioning the whole deal.

So short on race sag (3.75") and so long on free sag (1.75mm)?

155 is 'with gear'?

What is the process you are using?

canyncarvr,

Like I said this was my first time measuring the Race Sag and the wife helped(Wow was she excited). I used www.motocross.com/garage/setracesag[/url]) as my starting point. But, I started w/ the bike on the stand and measured from the bottom of the axle to the middle of the # plate (18 1/2"), then took bike off stand and bounced on suspension a little then got in attack position w/ gear, approx weight 155-160lbs w/ gear and measured, had to loosen the lock washer and adjusted the shock preload ring to come up w/ 3 3/4" (95mm) race sag. Then measured bike on own which was 16 5/8" or 1.75"(45mm) static sag. Let me know your thoughts or what should race sag be on bike, remember I ride 50% woods/track.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As long as 'bottom of the axle to the biddle of the # plate..' is vertical, you're ok.

When you were on the bike, it was freely held in the upright position? 'Free' meaning nothing was preventing it from compressing the shock?

You can take some tie-down straps, attach one end to your bars the other to (example) the garage door roller rack.

As long as the bike could move freely up and down (vertically..not at any angle).

The figures you give show your spring to be quite a bit too stiff. With a 100mm race sag (you on the bike) your free sag should be around 20-30mm.

'Attack position'? Is that how (where) you normally ride?

Set the sag based on where you are most of the time. That is likely not standing on the pegs with your head over the front light.

Look into talking wibby into finding his stocker. He will likely get it found sooner if you make sure to tell him it's not in the fridge!! (with the beer......) ;)

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
canyncarvr said:
When you were on the bike, it was freely held in the upright position? 'Free' meaning nothing was preventing it from compressing the shock?

Since it was me on the bike and the wife measuring, it was tough. I am going to check the measurements again and get a third person to steady the bike because I kind of leaned the bike very slightly against a pole in my garage and tried to balance myself in the attack position for the measurement.

Thanks for all your advice, I'm going to try it again.

But, regarding the 'Attack position'? I sit 50% and stand 50%.
I've been viewing alot of Gary Semics videos and they are for MX, but I can't find ANY off road riding technique videos.
He says when measuring race sag, get in the attack position on the front part of the seat w/ head over # plate.

But, I'll take your advice since I ride 50/50 woods/track and get in the position I ride in most of the time, probably centered instead of forward.

"Set the sag based on where you are most of the time." That is likely not standing on the pegs with your head over the front light.

Thanks

Dogz

Aug 30, 2003
I'm going to be doing the same thing ( change the rear spring) soon as well. I just can't get the rear dialed in on my 93 kdx 250. The spring is definately to stiff for a 145 pounder (without gear).
Should the shock be revalved with a spring change? or will thwe stock valving work with a spfter spring rate?
I'm putting gold valves in the front with new seals etc, the stock front spring seems about right for my weight.
what reeds would be a good choice, almost all my riding is in very tight woods with lots of steep rocky hills,
Its got a fmf torque pipe, airbox mods, and will have the 88kx head gasket after the new top end is finished.
Thanks for the help.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Dogz: You might consider starting another thread for your other questions. More likely to be responded to.

Shock valving is ok. Having it revalved is better (depending of course on who does it).

bpjnt: You will find your next readings to be quite different. It takes very little 'sidewise' to screw up a sag reading.

As said...use tie-straps (to something) to hold your bike vertical.

Top Bottom