overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Thought that I had a flat tire and the rear end was sliding around
alot.Is the bike just need more rebound or less compression on
the shock or soften the front to put more weight to the rear?
when the rear end feels like this is it to slow?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yup,rear rebound maybe too slow but you might not put more weight to the rear by softening the front. Is it on flat hardpack or soft bumpy turns ?

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
flat hardpack mostly that I have noticed the rear sliding and just feel
like it has a flat tire.Actually one time I stopped to make sure there was
air in the rear tire.Would this be packing if it was over several bumps?

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
deanfastway are you there.it was hardpack.I just want to make sure when
I feel certain things in the bike that I correct the right way.I have read
mxtech stuff and other sites,but in the real world out on the track it doesnt
come together to figure out which way to go sometimes.If the rear is sliding
around and not getting traction ,does that mean that it needs rebound and if
the rear is kicking less,ect.and the front when not steering correctly I sometimes dont know how much rebound to use either.please someone
help answer some of these questions or at least give me some of their
ideas on how they think that it works please.
Thanks ahead of time for the response and thanks deanfastway for your
answer so far.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Overbore : its kind of hard for me to explain but Ill try . Its partly about weight transfer and also about control or reaction to a bump but when sliding on flat hardpack if the rebound is too slow the tire might not bite as good and may take longer to follow the ground. In a sort of different situation you might consider a car (4 wheels but Im trying my best to explain) If you have a car that sways or rolls over in a turn it could cause the car to need a wider arc through the turn if the comp was toolight and the rebound was too slow the car would need more room to turn a corner that a car with a tighter comp and faster rebound. Sort of like a packing issue but only in the turns.If something is packing in a turn it will tend to want to take a longer arc through corner.In some terms it might be called loose, the opposite is something that turns or dives in and that might be called tight . If youre sliding something around a pivot of you put the weight in the center it will slide neutral well say but if you transfer weight to the rear it will (try to)slide a wider arc. If you had more weight on the front or inside part it might try to slide tighter. Maybe my explanation might not beso good but think about when taking two different types of corners If youre in a tight turn youll want to stay forward or if a wide sweeper youll be more likely to slide backon thre seat a bit a roll on the gas. Maybe someone who races dirt track can chime on here as thats where there shock tuning is all about , transfer and controlling the slide. Hope I helped and not confused . Have a good day.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Best thing to do is experiment-as long as you know your original settings you can always go back to them, one of our tracks was just as you describe-felt like a flat rear tyre-all the riders were complaining about it.Also try to borrow a fiends bike for a spin to see if yours is any better or worse.

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Thanks dean for the indepth answer.It helped and thanks marcus.
I feel like I start to get it together on whats going on and then
another things comes up.I appreciate the responses and good answers.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom