rear wheel bearings

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
we'll i'm taking everything down and repacking all the bearings . started to take the rear wheel bearings out and noticed that they are sealed on both sides , do you guys repack these by removing the seal on the bearing(inside or on the outside) or do you just replace them ? did a search last night and read for 2 hours but i did not really get a clear answer . the search feature did answer two of the other questions i had but still a little confused or probably just me . :confused: thanks , jeff

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I replace them if they start to get any play in them when tugging on the rear wheel. I don't have the numbers on me right now, but if you don't want to pay Kaw parts prices you can get them from a bearing house or McMaster-Carr for ~$5. I can check the ABEC bearing numbers when I get home tonight or if someone else has them handy, please post.

You can pop the seals on the existing bearings and repack, but I haven't done it.

I'm pretty sure I remember some posts on replacing the bearings, but generally you need to:
1) Remove dust guards.
2) Remove any retaining clips/devices.
3) Drive the old bearings out with a punch and hammer from the opposite side of the hub being careful not to hammer on the hub itself.
4) Press in one of the bearings. I use a hammer a piece of wood to start it and then a big socket once it gets flush with the hub. Only contact the outer race of the bearing or you'll ruin it. You can heat the hub and put the bearings in the freezer if you want to get them in a little easier, but you don't have to.
5) Don't forget to install the spacer.
6) Press in the other bearing.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
If the bearings are good and you want to add grease, leave them in. Pop the rubber dust seal and flush them out with WD 40. The let them dry out ovre night and the next day press grease in with you fingers while turning the race. If the race will not turn then follow Brent's instructions.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There isn't an agreement on this...some remove the inner seal on install, some don't. Certainly the seal will not prevent moisture from getting INto the bearing. The idea is, once it gets in, you might as well make it easy to get out by removing the seal.

BTW, a mechanics scribe worked around the inside diameter of the seal with flick it right out.

Try it on the outside diameter and you'll likely ruin it.

As mentioned, don't remove the bearings for a re-grease. No reason to stress the hub more than you have to. It's a steel race and an aluminum hub! Especially with the 'pound it out' method you're giving the aluminum hell every time you change bearings.

Yeah, you can get replacement bearings for $5. And then you'll be replacing them again in a few months.

CBR has a bearing 'kit' that comes with seals...runs around $45 or so. Lifetime guaranteed! No, that doesn't mean they don't wear out, but they'll last one heckuva lot longer than some all-balls chinese/korean junk.

That's my personal experience anyway.

When they DO wear out, CBR won't gripe about replacement, either!

gupman

Jun 6, 2003
Good thread at just the right time. I just pounded 2 round orb lookin pieces that at one time were rear bearings. I know know I have to hit these a little more often with some grease! Anyhoo, I see Dennis Kirk has a set of Moose bearings for a KDX. Anybody recommend these? Or any others and where to get em?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As noted above: CBR bearing:

Here.

To paraphrase the venerable mr. rohrich, You can't spend too much money on 'stuff'.

(thassa joke, son) ;)

gupman

Jun 6, 2003
Thanks Guys Just Google searched and found thier site. Gonna give them a call in the morning and get me some dem "Clay Bearings"

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
well i ended up having one bearing being bad so i called CBR to order my bearings . they only wanted $32.95 for two bearings , the dust seals and they have the lifetime warrenty :yeehaw: thats a awesome deal . thanks to all that helped for the info and links :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…