kingmort

Mar 6, 2002
I'm planning to rebuild an old KDX 175.I was wondering if anyone knew where I might be able to get new aftermarket parts for it.(pipe, plastic, stuff like that)Also anywhere in Canada that I could find used parts?:confused:

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I am doing the same thing and ...

... I have yet to find anything. I've posted questions similar to yours in this forum (and in the vintage forum) which have generated few substantive responses. I think that most of the KDXs still being ridden are 1983 (the year that they grew to 200cc) or later (or else everyone thinks I'm a jerk and they don't want to help me).

If I learn anything, I'll pass it on to you, by replying to this post. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could do the same.

If you get a chance, tell me about your project bike. Mine's a bone stock 1982. It starts and rides fine, but needs new fork seals and most of the rubber bits seem to be cracking from age/neglect. I'd like to put a pipe on it as well as to stiffen the suspension a little. New plastic and some TLC would have it looking pretty sweet.

By the way, while I was riding this weekend, I saw a KDX that was older than my project bike. It still had dual rear shocks. The guy riding it was getting more air than I was on my '02 220 and he was generally ripping.

kingmort

Mar 6, 2002
EBOD, Good to hear from you. My project bike is a heckuva project.I,m not excactly sure what year it is, Ive never checked.I bought it for 200 bucks last summer for parts for a KDX 250 that I had, I had advertised in a local free ads paper that I was looking for KDX parts.The guy had already started to restore the bike,he had the frame and swingarm painted,bought a new front fender, and its got real good tires.The engine was in a box, though and needed a complete top end.(man, I hate those chromed cylinders!). Originally I was only looking for an ignition stator, I picked one up just before that, but I bought the bike anyway since I thought I might be able to use some of the other parts off it.I never did, sold the 250(That was one evil bike) and the 175 got moved to the back of my storage shed.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago my old man came home from an auction with this box of motorcycle parts he bought for $5."this junk any good to you?" he says.Now , he doesn't know a thing about bikes other than the fact that I keep a lot of junk around.So anyway, in the box, there's a complete bottom end, cylinder(screwed, of course) ,manual and one brand new cylinder sleeve all for a KDX 175!!!!!!!

So anyway, there's the story of my latest project.I would appreciate any info anyone can give me.Are there any similiar components on the 200?:silly:

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
How's the progress on the 175's? I just noticed your posts from doing a search. I had an 81 175 and got rid of it a couple years ago. I still regret letting it go.

That was an awesome bike. Good luck with it and give progress reports.

kingmort

Mar 6, 2002
Hey Fred, you've been diggin' thru the archives eh?I guess that I've made some progress on the rebuild.Got the cylinder and the crank at the machine shop, gettin' resleeved, new rod kit and wiseco piston.I got a used rear fender , pipe , silencer and headlight cowl from a salvage in Alberta, it was pretty reaonable.The bike is still gonna look old when I get it done, faded plastic and all.Hopefully it will run like new ,though.I will also have to rebuild the front forks and scrounge up some decent cables and levers.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I've made no progress on mine to date (I haven't spent much time on it yet). I may take the bike out this weekend. I would do this both to see if it's worth the effort/money (especially money because I'm not that good with a wrench) to fix it up and because I'm worried that the "No Red Sticker" season (one of the bummers of living in CA) may have started at my favorite riding spot.

If I make it out there on it, I'll let you know how it works.

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
King,

I have been digging. I was looking for information on stators. I need to find some more current to drive my headlight and horn. Sounds like the project is going quite well. You have to take pictures.

EBOD,
I would have loved to rebuild mine, before I trashed it, but money and/or time would have been an issue. I can't wait to see how King does. Where are you in So. Cal? I'm in Carlsbad/San Diego. I'd like to know how it compares to your new KDX. I had an 81 and now I have a 97. They feel different but I still remember the 81 having some guts.

kingmort

Mar 6, 2002
Hey there EBOD, if you search for salvages online you might find some good parts .That's what I started doing and found quite a few.Just copied the letter(e-mail) I sent to one and sent it to a few...

You will have a lot more to chose from as you live in the states.

Fred, that's a good Idea about the pictures, I'll have to do something about that.

mkgearhead

Nov 25, 2001
There are a few kdx 175 parts on Ebay right now(including a complete engine). Just keep checking back there. I got almost all the parts for my '81 KDX 250 there (also another '81 KDX 250 for my son for $100). There's a place in Longmont, CO called Boulder Bike Works that has alot of old plastic and other parts. Good luck.

Top Bottom