rotoracer

Jul 26, 2003
i am planning on buying a 2000 or new kdx200 soon and was wondering about the rebuild of the top end on these bikes. Are there many tools required? i was told to own a service manual for regular maintenance, so rebuilding the top end would be covered in the manual, right? im new to this, but not new to engines in general. i was told maintainiing one of these bikes was not very hard at all. Thanks

Gary

rotoracer

Jul 26, 2003
so basically, the cost of a rebuild would rely mostly on the cost of the parts? i would need a new piston and rings, is there any other parts needed? and the 125 riders said they rebuild every 40 hours, but im pretty sure on the kdx you wouldnt need to that frequent. Also, all this is the same for the kdx220 rite? i hear it is the same bike with a little more torque.

thanks a bunch
gary

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
If you're familiar with engines, I guess you had already figured out you'd probably want to replace the gaskets. A new source of fire would be in order also. Make sure your torques are correct also. Make sure you go to the first post on this site and read the tips on the KIPS valve. It's required reading. And above all, enjoy your bike.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The 220 has 'issues' with the oem piston. It breaks. The bike doesn't have to be a modified racer to stress it. Some 220 riders have felt safer replacing the oem piston straight out of the box (or off the showroom floor).

No reason you can't get years of use out of a top-end on the kdx. Unless you ride a lot (say three times a week and 1000 miles a month) a top-end every couple of years is likely just fine.

There's more to maintaining the kdx than the top-end. Rear suspension components, forks, wheel bearings and steering bearings require some attention. ..in addition to the regular filter cleaning, oil changing and stuff.

You gotta git a manual.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom