Remove Baffle/packing/ material in siilencer

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
After removing some dents in my pipe and repositioning rubber mounts to get rid of vibration on gas tank I took my bike for a quick test run...accidently running bike without the baffle/spark arrester/packing material. What a difference in overall power and responsiveness. I then checked the sparkplug and found the bike to be running lean. After playing with the jetting for some time, taking aggressive rides and then rechecking the sparkplug I found the perfect jetting combination..Main jet moved two notches down towards the rich settings. At this setting, a brand new spark plug was golden brown throughout. Why not run the bike this way all the time? Is there any long term problem? In the woods I would have to put the spark arrester back on and rejet.

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
When I was in high school and shortly after. We all thought louder was better & more hore power. Wrong.It works well in flat out "WFO" drag racing,flat or inverted where no come back( low or mid range) is needed It all has to do with back pressure,sound waves( -&+) with silencer and packing in place,yadi,yadi,yadi I'm sure someone can add more to this
Besides LOUD :( it not "user friendly"

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I thought back pressure was very important for exhaust pipe. But after removing the baffle/silencing material my KDX 200 has much more horse power from bottom to top end. Could it be that back pressure only pertains to older "straight pipes" and Four cycle? Also, My bike isn't nearly as loud as my neighbors Honda 1997 cr 400 with stock exhaust.

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by mlhend1
. Why not run the bike this way all the time? Is there any long term problem.

One reason would be to avoid pissing off every non-rider within hearing distance. Loud is not cool.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Sounds like the packing in your silencer was either too tight or oil soaked. The screen inside the silencer (perforated tube that the packing material is wrapped around) may also be plugged with carbon.

Silencer maintenance is the key to optimum performance and low noise emission.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by BRush
One reason would be to avoid pissing off every non-rider within hearing distance. Loud is not cool.

Also pissing off local riders who loose privelege from strained tolerance.
Go stealthy, and get to ride another day.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Disassemble the silencer, clean everything up really well and make sure the perforated tube isn't plugged with carbon and repack your silencer. Once you're done fine tune the jetting again and I'm sure you'll find you have much better performance from top to bottom.

Running without packing material kills bottom to mid range performance and no packing material just plain old angers responsible riders and non-riders a like. Replace the packing material, it’s a win win.

David

Top Bottom