remove dust cover?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If you just mean to take them off for some maintenance or something, then put them back on before riding, then no.

Why do you want to take them off?

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
It will just let more crud get to your fork seals and cause them to wear faster if you ride with them off. They are not perfect anyways though. Whenever I take mine off for cleaning there is dirt inside of them because they have breather holes to allow them to crunch down when the fork compresses, then when the fork goes back up they suck in any crud near the holes. I guess what I am saying is if you are not riding in a lot of mud or sand you probably wont know the difference but I leave mine I because I like to be safe rather than sorry.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You can replace the covers with fork wipers from Summers Racing, p/n 0101-36.

Gary

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
doesnt the upside down forks on racing bikes get dirt inside them? all they have is the plastic thing in front.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Yes but it is not as bad because the water and mud drains away from the seals instead of sitting on top of them as it does on conventional forks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…