Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Quick question/
I want to repack the stock muffler on my '99 YZ 400. Does anyone know which rivets to drill out, the front or the rear? I remember reading an article in some MX magazine about a year ago, but can't locate it. Thanks.

B

biglou

Gary-Did you see CAL's review of the repacking "kit" in the product review forum? It is a pre-fab pack that you just slide in. Says it quiets the bike down a bit until high RPM's, too. And, you just drill the back rivets out. Don't have to remove anything from the bike. I think this is the way I'll go when the time comes. Just thought I'd pass this along. :)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Thanks for the "heads up". I think I'll go that route instead. Now that I think of it, I think I saw a review of the Moose product in a magazine as well. Thanks again!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
The repack cartridge was so easy, I won't use anything else. Actually, I drilled out the rivets on the end cap and removed the end cap. I did have to take off the rear fender to get the drill into positon for the top inside rivet. I think I used an 1/8" bit.

It gave the bike a very deep tone.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I sent my wife to the bike shop yesterday and of course she came home with the wrong thing. If'n ya want sumthin' done right, ya gotta do it yerself! I'll call them today and see if they can set me up.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
The only way I'll send my wife for parts is if I call the shop ahead of time and make sure they know what to give her. I still get nervous about sending her though. :eek:

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I drilled out the end cap rivets and then tapped the holes with a fine threaded tap to accept small bolts. Works perfect. The next time a repack is in order I just have remove the bolts, repack and put them back in. It would a pain to have drill out the rivets each time.

Don't forget to re-seal the end cap with high temp RTV silicone when you put it back.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I ordered the Moose kit today. Should have it next week. Thanks!

B

biglou

Gary-Post and let us know what you think once you get a ride or two in on it. I'll be leaning this way myself come repacking time. I like the threaded holes idea, too. :D

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I have a metric tap & die set. I'll see what the muffler looks like when I take it apart. I also have 3/16" stainless rivets in my garage, so either way, I'm good to go once I have the part.

Top Bottom