Replaced my fork seals......

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Well I did it! Without a manual too. I went to the bike shop today and picked up the fork seals and wipers. Apparently, I compressed my forks too much in my truck and blew the seals. Probably the day I bought it last week! Turns out, this job was kind of a pain in the azz. No shop in town had a manual. I ordered one but it won't get here until next week! I can't go without riding my bike for that long so the guy at the bike shop told me how to do it. I've rebuilt shocks on RC cars before. These are just bigger and the spring is on the inside. I did booger up the retaining clip under the seal on the left side. No biggie. I have it all put back together and I'll just go to the shop tomorrow and get the clip and put it in. I also installed some seal savers. Hopefully I won't have this problem for a long time to come! Matt

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Good job!! I was too chicken too replace mine myself, if need be, i will now attempt too do..Did you take your forks out of the triple clamp??
RIck

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Yes, you will have to take them out of the triple clamp. I suppose you could probably do it with them in there, but it would be a HUGE pain in the azz. It was really a pretty easy job once I did the first one. I did this without a manual as well. I didn't need that seal pulling and installation tool either. If you decide to do it, let me know and I'll ive you some pointers. Things I wish I had known before I did it! Matt

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Good job man. Barely even owned the thing and already tearing it down without manual. You'll fit right in here.

I find the hardest part of changing fork seals is avoiding a big mess in the garage. One of these days when I get to build my home shop/hideout I'll have a setup that allows for minimal mess.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Congratulations! Due to the encouragement and posts by people from this forum I decided to tackle my first fork seals last year. It took a while, but it turned out well and I have since done a few pairs. Your next goal is the shock...I actually find it to be easier to service than the forks, but equally as messy! :) :) :)

dante

Mar 24, 2004
I was scared at first to do mine also, but it was'nt too bad... I had a manual however... Shops charge allot for that service too it feels good to save the cash for sure...

:cool:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Be sure not too over tighten your triple clamps, i beleive (if i remember correct) 14 ft lbs on the torque wrench..

Rick

kuchera89

Jul 9, 2004
i tried to do mine, but i got to where i think i needed a 15mil allen/hex wrench for the bottom, so i had to give up halfway thru.
i took it to the shop down the street and it ended up costing me $55.00, just for one fork. :ugg:

frdsrck

Jan 29, 2005
I just bought some stiffer FRP fork springs for my KDX 200, and figured I might as well do the fork seals at the same time. I also don't have a Manual, but I have ordered one.... when it gets here who knows? I have done the top-end and other maintenance on my bikes, but never changed the fork springs or seals before... So How about those tips for another rookie?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
To avoid the mess, get a sink in your garage. Yea, I know. No oil down the drain....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…