reservoir cap

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
don't ask me how, but the cap for the radiator overflow/reservoir dissapeared on my last ride, which made for a messy ride. My question is do I really need the reservoir?, MX bikes don't seem to have them, rather than trying to replace the cap I was just going to remove the whole thing.

cheers
MAC

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i would keep it...the caps are very cheap at the dealer...lost mine once also.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
A freind of mine rides an MX bike, and last year as his bike was overheating 20 miles from the truck he was very envious of my reservoir.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
My bike always seemed to lose coolant on every ride. I didn't know why. Didn't seem to be overheating or sloshing out the overflow...it just disappeared. I decided to get rid of the tank altogether and see what happened. I took the overflow tube and ran it up through that big hole in the frame and then down to below the front of the engine on the left side of the big down tube on the frame. It ran just fine. No overheating and after each ride (and the engine cooled) I'd check the coolant level in the radiator. It was always full....so I bagged the tank and never looked back. Some would suggest that your cooling would be better without the tank because the tank itself seems to block air flow through the radiator.

KDXFORU

Feb 10, 2005
Ditto. X'ed the tank on my 92 and ran the overflow thru under the back fender. no problems, no overheating, no coolant loss. knocking on wood.

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
looks like a split opionions any one else with advise please.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I reckon it depends on your climate - up here in the subtropics I would leave mine on. My brother rides a WR200 with a missing expansion tank, and it overheats on the hills and loses heaps of coolant on a hot day. On a cooler day it doesn't seem to do it as much, so in a cool - cold climate you may get away without one.

just my observations.

Andrew

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
im going to go to the bike wreckers and see if I can find a cap from there. I will stay with the tank due to the varing temps here through out the year. Thanks for the advise.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…