Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
Hi guys.

I lost my rear brake on a ride recently. When I took a look I found that my pads were very low and I had run out of fluid in the reservoir. I replaced the pads and flushed fluid through the system, then buttoned everything back up.

When I was putting the camp back on the reservoir I noticed that the left and right sides of the reservoir were bulged out. The cap still goes on, but the sides don't line up with it nice and flush like I'd expect. In addition, I can push the brake pedal down all the way and still move the rear tire. I evern tried pumping the brakes up, same thing.

So! My conclusion was: bad reservoir. I've ordered a new one, but I'm now wondering what would cause a reservoir to do that. More importantly, I'm wondering if I'm going to replace the reservoir and then have the same problem.

Any thoughts on this?
-Mike

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
If your reservoir leaks than change it but if it doesn't than leave.
Your problem seems more like you have air in your system. If air went through your master cylinder than it's gonna take alot of bleeding to get all the air, you'll probably have to refill the reservoir 4 or 5 times.

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
Well, I bled about a 1/2 bottle, which is ~ 7 resrvoirs full, through it today with a vaccuum bleeder. I am still having the exact same issue, so I don't think it's an air issue.

I'm thinking that the sides of the reservoir are bulging out so far that the top isn't sealing correctly, thus keeping pushing brake pressure in the system out the top instead of to the brakes.

Since I already ordered the reservoir I am just going to wait for it to arrive. No sense in pushing 3 or 4 bottles of DOT 4 through the bike before deciding that it is indeed the reservoir.

-Mike

Top Bottom