Resistor VS non-resistor plugs

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I know where Gorr stands, I have his book. He doesn't say to use non res. plugs, but almost as an afterthought the last thing he says is he doesn't use them as they offer no performace gain.

Has anyone actually had a bike run weird or fry an ingnition due to the EMI?

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I have never heard of non-resistor plugs wreaking havoc with todays digital ignitions, but from what I hear its a possibility. The price difference between a resistor and non resistor is slim, so i always buy the R plugs.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
You've got a point. Thought I'd try them out since I had to spend a few more dollars to be able to use my debit card. Anyone else?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
some more exotic ignitions such as the FMF AOF have been known to show problems with non-resistor plugs, why risk it with even the stock, what is the price of a new black box in comparison with the little extra for the right plug?

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
You all show valid points, but why would eric suggest non resistor plugs?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Better read again. I don't recall that recommendation.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Jaybird,
It's true, pg 23. I'm wondering if it's a misprint or maybe left over from the first edition (1996). It would still have been a valid question then though. Maybe Eric and/or Rich will check this out soon.

Scott

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by Jaybird
Better read again. I don't recall that recommendation.

...exactly why I said almost as an afterthought. If you skim through it you'll miss it. I have the second edition book.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
A local amateur had a spell ewith a 02 125 YZ and the bike had a NGK BR8ES plug in it and a few folks looked at it , It would bog down or shut off at the worst time then run fine , They swapped coils & CDI And carbs . They beleive it runs fine now with the Resistorplug , He missed a few races because of it .

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
dean say that again please!:)

it ran bad with the resistor now it works fine with the resistor? was it the carb or the CDI or a typo?

just out of interest, the FMF dual map ignitions state that resistor plugs are mandatory

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Will non R plugs eventually damage stock ign's ?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
They are basically the same as an aftermarket ignition, maybe tuned a bit different. Do the math.
What reason does anyone have FOR running a non-resistor plug should be the question.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
What reason does anyone have FOR running a non-resistor plug should be the question.
:think:

If I save 60 cents on each plug and I buy 133.3 of the non-R type, I can buy this cool chain scrubber/washer I saw on the internet. So there! :moon:

:)

Eggnchips

Jul 15, 2002
I honestly cannot see why a non-resistor plug would damage a CDI unit as they are electrically isolated from each other.

The load of the primary windings on the coil represent the load that the CDI unit would "see" and not the load presented by the spark plug. So you could even short out the secondary windings and this wouldn't affect the CDI unit.

Resistive plugs allegedly give a stronger spark and don't interfere with car radios as much, in a modern motocross bike nether of these benefits justify the additional cost.

But that said if you want to be better safe than sorry, buy the resistive type

B

biglou

Originally posted by Eggnchips
I honestly cannot see why a non-resistor plug would damage a CDI unit as they are electrically isolated from each other.
EMI-ElectroMagnetic Interference.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Big Lou, cannot that also make a guy go sterile? Being so close to the spark plug with the "mommy parts" might really be a concern.

I hear non resistor plugs are illegal in Canada.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Many racing venues only allow resistor plugs due to the EMI, as the biggest of Lou's has mentioned, will interfere with radio transmissions.
Lotta jucie hittin' through a plug. For my money, I'll keep the R's.
ALTHOUGH...I do see some very reasonable logic in bscottr's reasoning!
:)

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I'm starting to thing that the interference given off by the high tension lead are frequencies that would only affect radio waves. I seriously doubt that the system would have enough oomph to act like an EMP grenade and disable all electronics in a 5 foot area.

We're talking small, magneto driven systems here. Maybe someone should PM Eric and ask if he can take a look at this.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
There's some interesting inof here on RFI, causes etc., plus some other good info on spark plugs in general...
http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark.htm

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Bruce : I meant to write B8ES plug but instead I wrote BR8ES = My bAd sorry to confuse .. But yes I venture to guess the non resistor plug sent back static or something and after trying BR8EG plugs bike runs fine , so far . ??

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Bruce the FMF will eventually die without a resistor plug.

please elaborate!

will it die, full stop, or will it die only if i dont use the resistor plug?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Bruce too many fumes at your work:)It will die if you use a non resistor plug-ie it damages the circuits.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
OK guys, lets wrap this one up.

pros for a non resistor plug are we save less than $1 per plug

pros for a resisitor plug are, 1 the tannoy radio wont go screwy. 2. we wont lose any performance. 3. our very expensive ignition boxes wont die. 4. the bike will run properly. 5. the emi wont fry your cannulies.

personally, number 5 doesnt bother me since i have nuts of steel and they have already cracked 1 gas tank and have mashed through the foam of a new SDG seat, but the other 4 reasons are still worth running the R plus for!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…