Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I've never heard of a muffler restrictor but if you take the pipe off and look at the manifold where the pipe fits into the engine that would be the place I suspect. Take the seat off and the cover and snorkel will be on the top of the air box. Remove the snorkel and drill more holes on the top of the airbox to get the air moving.

girlbiker

May 26, 2002
i spoke to the kawasaki mechanic and he said they take the air filter lid off before they sell thew bikes ....? what do you all think off or holes what have you all done - experienced
Thanks

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Every new bike that I have seen still had the lid in place. It's worthless. I did not feel like relocating my ignition thingy, so I just hacked off my airbox lid right in front of that box.

Yamablue

Apr 23, 2002
Why would the bike become louder? Wouldn't it just get a small power gain?

-It has a snorkel on there for a reason. I guess you don't really don't need it, the air filter should do the job.
That's strange how a Kawisaki dealer mechanic would reconmend taking off the cover. I guess everybody has there say.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
It does increase power, most noticeably down low. It increases the intake noise, not the engine noise. It just makes a little burp when you roll on the throttle. Definitely worth it. As far as overall noise, it is not a loud noise. The only reason you can even hear it is because you are sitting right on top of it.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Hi Girlbiker.
If your bike no longer has the airbox lid, don't stress (or order another one). The only thing I've found it good for is a place to park the CDI. Mine's been cut out from that point on (I left the frame & that's pretty much it). Why Kawasaki put them on in the first place, is beyond me.
There is a definite power increase with it gone (or drilled or whatever you prefer). It's like the bike's being starved for air with it. To tell whether you've got the lid or not, just take off the seat & if you can see the air filter, it's gone. If you can't, remove the lid.
As for the muffler restriction, maybe one of the other Aussies can reply to that one. We get pretty much the same model as you, but unrestricted (i.e. it's different from the US one, carb wise & a few minor parts).
I know 4 strokes (XR200's) have a baffle in their exhaust, which most people remove, giving the bike more power & it sounds different. Not sure if you're getting confused with that or not. (again, a fellow Aussie would be able to answer better).
Hope that helps you some. (I haven't welcomed you in the women's forum as I have a tendency to scare off fellow foreigners, dunno why, I ain't that scarey, so don't you disappear :confused:). Welcome to DRN :D
Michelle

girlbiker

May 26, 2002
if i cut my airbox lid do i have to do any other tunning in ...i am getting it serviced new tire ,accerbis hand gards ect ..should i just get the motorbike mechanic to do it ??

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i'de check jetting when u do any mods,u can do it urself.btw i got my bike preowned with no lid but if it had one it would b on a nail on the garage wall with the lid off my other bike.the stock exhaust is just one big restriction if u ask me,if u have the means get a fmf or pc system jmo

Top Bottom