Restrictor In Between Reed Valve & Filter

paula.jones6

Apr 21, 2003
I own a 91 KDX TIN TANK 200. In the process of a top end rebuild power valuves piston rings have discovered between reeds & air filter some kind of plastic restrictor. Can some one please tell me what this is and can it be removed for performance.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Paula, leave it there; it smooths the passage of air into the reeds. Without it, there would be a lot of turbulance and it wouldn't draw in the air/fuel mixture as efficiently.

Cheers,

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Hmmm, between the reed valves and filter. Oh, I know what that is, it's called the carburetor. I'm no expert but I think you need that!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Everybody loves a smart-a$$.

No, wait...that's not quite right...??? ;)

(yast yoking..but, you knew that.)

Considering that the 'restrictor' you are referring to is a white phenolic thingy (and not some piece of shop rag), andrew is correct.

Keep in mind that it can indeed be installed upside down (I'm basing this on 'H' model setup. I'm NOT sure it applies to your bike, but check it anyway).

Maybe yours was installed upside down when you took it out? ...and that's what you're looking at?

The air-bender (the white phenolic part...my word) should NOT 'show' any flat spots to the incoming airstream. Look inside the carb boot with the white piece held to it, rotate the phenolic piece 180º and you will (hopefully) see what I'm talking about.

If you have a question, please ask. It's important that this piece go in with correct orientation.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…