Bryan Kimsey

Sep 10, 2001
I got my first batch of upgrade gear in from Rocky Mountain MC today: a Utah Sport Cycle skid plate, Acerbis rally guards, MSR Dominator handlebar, Renthal full diamond grips, 12 tooth sprocket. Got excellent service from RMMC, BTW. I needed to change something in the order and they caught my e-mail, changed the order, and it still got to NM in 3 days.

Installed the skid plate first- went on just fine. The plate is flattish, and extends out over the frame guards, giving them extra protection, too. It looks good, is unobtrusive, and feels sturdy.

Next thing was the handlebars. Frankly, I LIKE the stock bars. The bend is just perfect for my 5' 5" frame and I felt like I had really good control with them. I had two problems with the MSR bars- first, I don't like the bend. I got the KX Low and somehow they feel funny to me. Too low, maybe. And very "rubbery". Boy, do they flex a lot.

Second thing was the 12 tooth sprocket. No problem there. We're on a 28,000 acre ranch and my riding is 80% right here. I typically ride 2-3 miles down a maintained dirt road to get to the creek which is alternately very rocky, very slow going, and then opening up but full of little ponds and dips. I ride pretty slow down the creek because of all the hidden rocks. Previously I'd been using 1st gear a lot in the rocks and 6th to cruise down the road.

I waited to put the Acerbis on to see if I wanted to cut the MSR bars down and becuase the yellow jackets are hatching and I was tired of dodging them in the barn- time to go riding.

Right away, I noticed the different bend in the bars. I also noticed that my lever perches weren't tight, so I came back once to adjust the bars and tighten the perches. Out riding, the bike seems squirrely for some reason- the bars have changed my posture or they're more flexible or something. I don't like it. I really notice a difference when picking my way thru rocks- whereas the stock bars felt very solid and secure, suddenly things feel flexy and loose.

The 12-tooth front sprocket is nice in the rocks and I notice that I'm shifting between 1st and 2nd gear more than I used to. I also notice that 1st gear runs out of steam real fast, so I'm using 2nd for that extra "pull" in between sections and for longer wheelies over obstacles and such. I also noticed while riding down the road that my top speed was really reduced. I kept looking for another gear and I was already in 6th. Not sure I'm going to keep the 12th tooth on, but we'll see.

The skid plate is almost unnoticeable, although once in awhile I find myself trying to downshift the skid plate instead of the shifter. No big deal- easy to get used to.

The bars, though, really bug me. Steering precision seems really reduced and I crashed 3 times! I've had the KDX for a month and have only dropped it once and today I dropped it 3 times! I don't know if it's the 12-tooth throwing me off (expecting the bike to zip ahead and it's not) or if it's the bars. I'm going to cut them down 1" and install the Acerbis, which should firm things up and then see what happens.

So, for me, the skid plate gets an A, the 12-tooth sprocket gets a B, the bars get a C.

In the mail- FMF Torque pipe.....

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Nice write up Bryan, you might want to try the Honda bend in the Renthal's or something simular, they offer a hi and a low rise. they seem to be the most commonly asked for bend. Ive also heard the the RM bend is nice, though I have never tried it. I would like to see this new skid plate, heard quite a few guy's like it.

MisShift

May 11, 2001
Couple things.....which KDX do you have? 200...220....250? I looked on the web to view your handlebars....they are a really stout pair of bars. You should not be feeling as much flexibility as you say, more flexible than stock, but not sloppy flex. Did you inspect those rubber mounts or tighten them good? Also...I didnt see the KX low on the MRS list...just the high...the only low was a CR. Make sure you have the right bars before you cut them down. I went with the high bend since it is the closest match to stock as far as bend. Getting new bars and top triple clamp was the best investment as far as ergonomics go. The factory top clamp and perches were too far back. Getting a adjustable top triple...by flipping the perches around, gave me such an amazing change in my riding. The new mount put me 16mm further forward than stock. It doesnt sound like much, but a little up there goes a LOONG way. And to go back to the flexibility....its not always bad. I got the pro-tapers and the flex alot more stock...they are supposed to. It saves your arms from getting beat up on rough terraine.
Bryan Kimsey said:
Next thing was the handlebars. Frankly, I LIKE the stock bars. The bend is just perfect for my 5' 5" frame and I felt like I had really good control with them. I had two problems with the MSR bars- first, I don't like the bend. I got the KX Low and somehow they feel funny to me. Too low, maybe. And very "rubbery". Boy, do they flex a lot.

That right there should be telling you something. Either go back to stock or get a bend that "feels" better. Good luck.

P.S. After you put that Gnarly on there....your gonna wanna chuck that 12 tooth....your not gonna need it.:p And you think the bars make you fall? Just you wait till you put that pipe on there!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bryan Kimsey

Sep 10, 2001
Okay- I spent much of the evening reviewing the situation (it's cooler at night and the wasps aren't such a problem...). The bars _are_ KX-Low, it's stamped on them. Go to Rocky Mountain MC's site and you'll find them. They also are, as far as I can see, identical to the stock 1996 KDX 200 bend. Same height, same bend, same everything. Ahhh.....but I discovered that my stock bars are 1/2" shorter and the clutch side is bent up and back a little. So that would give me a different feel. I also played with the width and found out that the 1/2" wider is making me lean more forward just that little extra uncomfortable bit. Remember I said I'm 5' 5", not 6' 5"!! Think "Ricky Charmichael":D I don't want to lean forward anymore- the problem is getting my butt back a little more. I've always run 29" bars and after hacksawing these down, they're much better. Having the confidence that they are indeed same bend as stock helps too. Taking 3" off the width really stiffens things up, too. I'll go for another ride this afternoon and report back, but riding around in the dark last night (that's FUN!), they felt much, much better.

I'll post a picture of the skid plate either here or on my web site, so y'all can see what it looks like.

And finally, I should probably put this in another thread, but now that bars are 29", it's going to be a BEAR getting those Acerbis Rally Guards crammed in there! Has anyone used Acerbis Flag handguards on their KDX? I know it's a slim chance, but I play guitar semi-professionally and enclosed handguards sure look like wrist-breakers to me....
:scream:

What are you other narrow handlebar people doing for handguards?

Alpinestar

Apr 18, 2001
I know exsactly what you mean by those bars. Man do they ever stink. They flex like crazy when trying to ride it makes it very uncomfortable, it made riding wheelies or getting threw tough parts really hard. When I had my crash those bars bent at a almost perfect 90 degree angle:scream: . I would recomend using a TAG, or Renthal I like these two bars and feel in total control with my setup.

Bryan Kimsey

Sep 10, 2001
UPDATE:

After cutting the bars down to 29", I went riding for a couple of hours today. They feel a LOT better. Didn't notice undue flex at all.

Also realized that I wasn't trusting the new lower gearing to grunt and pull but was cranking the throttle too much, causing wheel spin and making the bike run thru the gear too fast. After I realized that, I did a lot better. Still dunno if I'll keep the 12-tooth....I spend more time shifting now and neutral lies in between 1st and 2nd and is usually easiest to find when you don't need it. We'll see, though. I DO like the lower gearing when picking thru the rocks but I'll have to see what happens after the K-35 pipe is on.

Now about those handguards....(see other thread).

:eek:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Hey Brian,

don't mean to rain on your parade, but those MSR Dominator bars are pretty much junk. Not a bad stock replacement, but nowhere near the quality of a Renthal or Domino. The are basically an oriental copy of the same. There was a set on my XR when I got it and they were already bent. I'd be looking to replace them with renthals when you get a chance. JMO.

Also have to say I'm not surprised about the Acerbis guards not fitting well. Something about the bend of them and the bulbous plastic makes them hard to fit and stay in place after a crash. IMO the EE, Fredette, and Moose guards are the ticket (all the same guards BTW). EE gets my nod as they have great expertise, correct fitment parts for different bars, and engraving with your name on them. I was working on a bud's bike the other day with UFOs and promptly broke the pot metal fastener. Stay away from these junkers.

As far as the pipe goes, guys like both the K-30 and K-35. I had a K-30 on mine and rode one with the K-35 last week. Quite frankly I was dissapointed in its performance with the 35. Yes, it has a nice mid-range hit that lifts the front wheel, but the bike flattens out on top and quits pulling right when I expected it to really take off (like a 125 or the 200 with the K-30). If you are a reasonably accomplished rider (B class or better) I think you'd be happier with the Rev. Heck, the pipes are cheap so get both!

Even if you keep the MSR bars, bar and control setup really effect the way the bike feels when you ride it. Do you have the bars rolled forward some, or are they pulled back kinda in your lap? Most people seem to roll them back, which gives you the wheel barrow effect and makes you drop your elbows. great for sitting and plonking, not good for standing and flying.

Good luck on getting the KDX all set up to your liking. I'm sure some will take exception to my comments here, but please take them based on my humble experiences. Renthal CR 89-91 bars (aka CR Hi Bend) and EE guards are hard to beat. I dumped my KTM off the trailer and did $3600 damage and the EE guards are still in use today. Good luck, :)

Bryan Kimsey

Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by TexKDX
Hey Brian,

don't mean to rain on your parade, but those MSR Dominator bars are pretty much junk.

IMO the EE, Fredette, and Moose guards are the ticket (all the same guards BTW).

Yes, it has a nice mid-range hit that lifts the front wheel, but the bike flattens out on top and quits pulling right when I expected it to really take off (like a

Do you have the bars rolled forward some, or are they pulled back kinda in your lap?

Thanks for the opinions- I'll keep the MSR until they bend and then go with Renthals. I'm certainly not in love with them, so there's no parade going on.

I've talked with RMMC and they'll take the handguards back since I have the original packaging and haven't installed them, so that's probably what I'll do there. I ran Rally Guards on both my XR and WR and they rotated after every crash and I broke 2-3 of them riding in the winter. Dunno why I bought them again....

As for the pipe, I'm not a revver already have a used K-35 on the way, so I'll go with it and see what I think. Actually, I'm not really into power at all anymore- just want a smooth, tractable, good handling putt-putt bike. I quit riding for 2 years because I just can't afford to get hurt. I'm the sole hand on our ranch and people depend upon me to have 2 working feet and 2 working hands, so I take it really easy when I ride. My speedy days are over and I'm just glad to be riding at all. As for ability, well, I've been riding since 14 and I'm 39 now. AND I'm on a _really_ tight budget here. $100 is a major purchase. So, whatever I get, I'll make it work.

I have my bars pretty much in line with the forks- I keep shouting this and nobody ever pays attention but I am SHORT (5' 5") and this rotated forward mount bar thing keeps me on the front half of the bike rather than balanced in the middle. I've found that putting the bars just in line with the forks seems to work best for me.

But, thanks for the advice- I'll check out the EE guards. They seem highly recommended both here and on RMD (checked Deja.com).

RazorbackDave

Oct 14, 2000
I've been running the Renthal Ricky Carmichael bend bars (shortened 3/4" on each side) and the FRP handguards on my '00 220. Yes, it is a tight fit to get all of the hardware back on the bars.

You'll like the way the FRP guards fit once you get them situated. Great protection and good lookin' too.

Top Bottom