Return of the Side Valve!!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
http://somender-singh.com/

Some interesting stuff here. Thsi technology is so simple and able to be used on all motors but it's the side valve comments that interested me. For those of us who even know what a side valve is - they have some very good advantages, namely that you can have a lower center of gravity with the cam at the base of the cylinder with direct activation of the valves and consequently a shorter motor. In the past overhead valves quickly surpassed side valves but who knows now?

Of course it could all be baloney, but I always like to revisit old technology with an eye to using modern methods to minimise the reasons the old stuff was shelved.

In this era of double overhead cams, 5 valve heads, variable intake volumes and exhaust pipes we still see 2 valve, single cam motors in drag racing setting new world records all the time..........

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Interesting! The next time I have my pitbike head off it's getting a groove.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
KiwiBird said:
In this era of double overhead cams, 5 valve heads, variable intake volumes and exhaust pipes we still see 2 valve, single cam motors in drag racing setting new world records all the time..........

Unless you are into lawnmower racing I don't think the side valve design will ever return. The inherent design of the side valve has many limitations. The groove modification may help with gas mileage and HP by allowing more complete burning of the unburnt gasses in the combustion chamber but, the limitations of the side valve design compared to most any over head valve design are numerous.

Just my $ .02

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The groove theory is sound. I think it would give the tuner another tool to use when trying to change the charector of a motor for a rider by changing squish height.
A turbulence interuption, and a straight shot from spark to quench has got to help combustion.

Harley guys will be all over it...once they get the internet thing figured out. :rotfl:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
http://somender-singh.com/content/view/68/49/
Very interesting article and awsome pics. I even saw, I think, a few two-stroke heads. If I had a spare head, I would experiment with this. Imagine the effects this would have on the oil industry.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
side valve schmide valve!

Bring back rotary valves. :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
DaddGoneMadd said:
So if I did this would my KX get 100MPG? :whoa:

Yes, but only if you ride it in India. ;)

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
Does anyone know if this will in fact help a two stroke. Not just nay sayers? I got an extra head, I've got to get it milled for a bump in compression to boost bottom end. Would be a good time to try it out.
I could see where it would instill turbulance to the combustion chamber, what if it was angled to add a swirl effect?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…