review of moto jackrack bike carrier

Ready2Rip

Jan 17, 2001
Here's my review...

< ADMIN EDIT: MotoJack has threatened to sue DRN if we leave this persons negitive review online.

>> We are contacting you because of a false statement written about are product (motojackrack). I am asking you to remove this false statement immediately. I have taken screen shots of all these pages for future reference if needed. Here is the link in question.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=29718
The member Ready2Rip has refused to contact us about these allegations.
Thank You,
Andy Williamson

which led to me respond with:

What specific post are you referring to and what specific statement? Are we to automatically take your word over someone else's? I'd suggest that if you feel the author is inaccurate, you post what you believe to be the case. The truth always comes out in situations like this.

He responded with...

This is not true and just some kind of scheme to belittle are product by are competitors. Why is it that you have links to all are competitors, but not ares (motojackrack)? I'm not going to get into a bull**** pissing match on a
internet forum over are product that we have been producing (Happily) for almost 10 years. We would not be in business if are product was breaking and $6000 bikes being dragged down the road. We have always made sure that could never happen. You have to remove that false statement or your
next contact will be from are legal representation and that will not be FREE!

I respond with:
DRN Rules and disclaimer you say when you joined:
"Although the administrators and moderators of DRN will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review and/or substantiate (as fact) all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of DirtRider.Net, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message"

I suggested posting a rebutal would be his best bet.

He finally responds with;

THE AUTHOR HAS NOT RESPONDED TO US!

WE WILL BE SPENDING EQUAL TIME AND MONEY
IN COURT (YOUR ATTORNEY AND MINE)

A SUMMONS (YOU WILL NEED AND ATTORNEY FOR THAT ONE)

I bow to the pressure! Since we generally do not delete the public opinion, I thought posting the reason why we did this time is in order. I still suggest that MotoJack posting what they believe to be the truth was a better way to handle it, but as they say... oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaMX

Jun 20, 2001
I have a Explore Sport SUV with a "rail" type carrier it weights about 100 ponds plus a kx 250 we have about 330 pounds or so back on the carrier it makes the front end very light. Also its big and bulky take up lots of room in the garage. I'm considering of getting the jackrack but I have a few questions for you experts. I do plan on getting stiffer leaf springs on the back to help the front end out.
1. How fast you guys drive with the bike on the rack ?

2. Lost of moving part with the jackrack any bolts ever come loose?

3. Is it really safer then the rail type? I know it hold the bike by the frame (which I think it would be more secure) but lots of people complain about those t-bolt and t-clips coming off? The rail type the bike is kinda top heavy sways alittle not much but 1 mm it oo much for me. :)

4. Is there ANY bike movement ? I know about the screw to reduce the reciever play but people say its not long enough or it doesn't really work? anyone thought of welding a bold on the side of the hitch itself and that would "squeeze the reciever into the other side of the hitch?

Ready2Rip

Jan 17, 2001
You should be OK with a KX250. I carried an XR600, but I always crossed my fingers when hitting a bump in the road. It's hard to find air shocks anymore, but they make some bellow-style air assist units that should keep your truck level. Then you should be able to drive as fast as you want.

I've never had any bolts come lose & wouldn't worry too much about it. As I recall, it utilizes lockbolts. I had a weld break, though.

Don't know if it's safer than a rail. If the suspension compression makes the rail system unreliable, then the motojackrack will eliminate it.

There is a lot of bike movement if you don't tie the bike to the bumper, both front & rear. Then it's reduced to an acceptable level.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i had 1 of these & it was ok, but if i had it to do over i might get 1 of the aluminum tray-type 1s (i had a steel tray-type too, which was pretty heavy to install & remove). now i have a truck, so no problems.

hey raoul, i have more info for you on those booster springs. my mechanic got the part # & even got the parts, which he can send you if you want them (or if not, he can return them). it is carquest part #83061. they are 1500lb. heavy duty coil spring helpers. they bolt on above the leaf springs with u-bolts, looks very simple. let me know if you want 'em.

for you other guys, i had these installed on an explorer for carrying a bike on the back, made a huge difference--the headlights no longer pointed almost straight up. made the car handle better even with out a load on the back. if you are going to make a regular practice of hitching a bike to the back, i recommend them. they were about $70 + about $30 or so to install.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
I use one on an explorer as well and do not have any problems. Speed on the highway is no problem 70 - 80 is no issue. I recommend 3 tie downs front and back of bike to bumper - minimizes the teetor/totter effect and a 3rd on the bars to the foot peg. My only area of concern is going into areas (gas stations,etc..) that my have a small curb when you hit at an angle and get that rocking motion (bike on or not). I am a fan for the following reasons:

1. easy to store (garage or shed) if space is a premium
2. relatively easy one man job
3. relatively safe - concept makes more sense to me than rail
4. gas can holder is nice (outside storage for an explorer)
5. Only driving issues are mentioned above - the rest is very good.
6. access to rear of explorer thru window (not door) while bike is still on

Hope this helps.

FloridaMX

Jun 20, 2001
sspmxc400 - you have a 2 dr or 4 dr? Also the bike sits that far away from the back of the explore that you can open the rear window. I wonder if it would be better to have it closer ? Were are you trying the bike down with the tie-downs
front - by the handle bars to under the rear bumper
rear - around the swing arm to under the rear bumper

I would think to minimize the teetor/totter effect it would be better if youtie it down from bike to jack rack or is the teetor/totter effect on the hitch reciever you are minimizing. By the way is there a lot of reciever play ?

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
Answers to questions

1. 4 wheel drive
2. I don't believe that it sits back too far (haven't noticed any problems) and it is nice to still have access thru the window. I have made the mistake of securing the bike with the whole door up (oops - start over).
3. Tie down strategy is to minimize the teetor/totter effect from a hitch perspective - meaning tieing to the motojack doesn't help. I go from handlebar to bumper and from just under back fender (sub-frame) to bumper. This helps.
4. Receiver fit is good and haven't had any problems.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom