rib,kidney, and back protection

bigiron

Jun 24, 2002
After breaking a couple of ribs and bruising a kidney in a fall I posted a question about rib protection in the injury forum. A couple of people suggested I switch to a HRB Hydro Jak. Then I saw posts about back protectors and seems like a good idea but doesn't look like it would do much for ribs,side,kidney. Maybe an HRB and a back protection device?

Any thoughts on this or advice anyone?

Thanks much!

bigiron

Jun 24, 2002
Just the basics, helmet, boots, gloves and a Fox chest protector. I impacted very hard on my side.

hlinar

Oct 21, 2002
Bigiron,I too suffered rib damage last wknd and was looking at your post. I then went to theHRB site and looked at the hydrojak,and am concerned,IMHO, that the rib protection offered wont dissipate enough force to keep my ribs safe, so i'm still looking.

RakO

Dec 26, 2000

Maybe this is too much but me too I got the same "problem" ....bruised ribs ..and pain lasted for 6 weeks.
When I was racing go karts I suffered a lot but after they came with this

http://www.origoengineering.dk/sparerib.htm
http://www.fightingarts.com/estore/catalog_safety_chest.shtml

RakO

Gage151

Sep 11, 2002
I am interested in what you guys find as I too have been looking. I do not have so much the same injury but just recently had Lung Surgery. So the 3 holes i aquired on my left side are very tender and will be for more than 6 months. I think a crash could be almost devastating as far as pain goes, so I hope i can find something fast or i will just have to Ace wrap some padding in that area and go for it..

Last edited:

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I took a dump last spring- 6 broken ribs, separated shoiulder, concusion, (cracked my helmet!) Had on a new Fox and MSR helmet.
I looked at EVERY chest protector after that. In reality they're pretty close. I just saw a Thor impact or something like that has a hump for your spine and extra padding in there, that's my next one.
I wear a football players rib pad. It's @ 6" and about 1"thick.
It's tough to stop a rib break. Most chest protectors are a hard layer between you and the ground or what ever, I looked at the body protective shirt type of things to put under my chest protector, but consider this, It was like 100 degrees here in NEPA for a bunch of races, I'll die from heat prostration!
I've been using that rib pad and so far no broken ribs, (knock on wood!)
Just my 2 cents :)
Joe :)
I keep the medical profession in business here! :)

FOX426

Dec 12, 2000
How do you wear two helmets? Which one cracked; the Fox or MSR? Seriously though, I tried the football rib pads also and found them to hot. The HRP Flak Jak with optional rib protector seems the best solution until someone comes up with something better.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I'm seriously considering the AZONIC Z-5 BODY ARMOR from O'Neal. It has back protection.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Regarding breaking ribs - I broke mine when the front plate's pads in the lower corners acted as pressure points. The Hydrojak puts these pressure points top of the side protectors so that the load is spread out better.

I think pretty much all the CPs are pretty inadequate and am thinking about starting making my own.

I'm going to start with elbow guards. If any of you have suggestions - I'm going to pattern them off the old THOR MachV guards which are as good as any I have seen.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…