Lespaul20

~SPONSOR~
Jun 23, 2002
Ok, i have 90 ktm 250, Ok the jetting is all stock, i run 32:1 on pump gas. Here's the problem, The bike smokes alot, spooges alot. It also bogges when i give it throttle from idle, not much but noticable. My question is; If i lean the oil/fuel ratio, will it help. The manual say 40-50:1 but that scares me.
All i really need to know is
Bogging = lean right?
smoking= to rich oil/fuel ratio right?
any help is great.
thanks

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Exceesive smoke and spooge is a sign of running to rich. Are you sure that it is a bog? I mean A rich bike will kinda load up and sputter.

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
but if its REALLY ritch it will also have a lean effect, bogging. And if it bogs right off throttle and smokes ALOT try going leaner. But if it bogs off idle and very little to no smoke then go ritcher.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
maybe his piolet is ritch and his needle and main are ritch? I dont wanna say this but what oil are you using? And dont mess with the ration, leave it at 32:1.

ML536

Dec 1, 2001
"My question is; If i lean the oil/fuel ratio, will it help."

If you mean putting less oil into the gas, the answer is no. Most likely, that will have the opposite effect, causing you to run richer, with even more smoke and spooge.

I know that this may seem counter-intuitive, because the smoke and spooge you see are presumably caused by the oil in the gas. Here is the reason why trying to correct that problem by playing with your ratio doesn't work:

By decreasing the amount of oil going into the gasoline, you are in effect increasing the amount of gasoline in the mixture. That will make your bike run richer, which will make your problem even worse.

The reason why your bike smokes and spooges is not because there is too much oil in the gasoline. The reason is because there is too much gasoline for the amount of air the bike is taking in. In other words, it is too rich. The excess gasoline cools the combustion chamber. As a result, the combustion chamber does not get hot enough to burn off the oil. On the other side of the equation, if the bike is not getting enough fuel for the amount of air that is coming in (a lean condition), the temperature of the combustion chamber, most notably the piston, rises to dangerous levels. That is why excessive leanness will cause a bike to seize, while excessive richness generally will not.

When the bike is too rich, and the combustion chamber consequently is too cool, the visible result is smoke and spooge. The performance result is that because your bike is not mixing air and fuel together in an optimum ratio, performance suffers.

In short- don't try to correct a smoking and spooging problem by reducing the amount of oil you mix into the gas. Your problem is almost certainly a jetting problem, with the bike being jetted too rich somewhere- pilot, needle, or main jet, or all three. There are some excellent jetting links on this site. Do a search and get the bike jetted right.

Lespaul20

~SPONSOR~
Jun 23, 2002
thanks for the replys, shift-mx really answerd my question, yes it bogges with smoke, i first thought is was rich but reading eric gorrs site he said if it boowaags that its lean, thats what confused me. thats also why i thought if i lean the oil it would richen the air/fuel. but thanks everyone.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom