Ride at Weimedog’s on Sunday 10/28

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
This is a great place to ride. Thanks for having up come up and ride. There’s a trail for everyone from wide open top gear stuff to fun grass track to tight nasty single track with plenty of mud and some rocks.

My boy and I arrived about noon and after gearing up Weimedog (on a vintage 400 something Husky) and his son showed us the perimeter of the property and where he wanted to break some new trails. After a half hour (or maybe and hour, I lose track of time when I ride) we rode back to the house to see if LoriKTM and Dave (Off Road Warrior) showed up yet while the boys broke in some trails. As we rode out of the field we spotted two suspicious looking characters in bright orange KTM jackets, walking, following knobby tire tracks in attempt to find us. Dave and Lori had arrived.

While Lori and Dave were unloading and getting dressed we hung out and shot the bull for a while. It was cold and had snowed a little the night before and the heater in the garage was very welcome. The temperature was perfect while you riding but as soon as you stop the sweat tends to cool you down very quickly. The boys showed up latter and we were ready to hit the trails again.

Everyone was getting there bikes started and warmed up. We had to wait for a particular KTM to get started so we just revved our bikes while we waited. Once we got going we rode down the driveway and stopped to cross the road. Just as I started to cross the road my bike stalled. As I watched everyone take off and disappear I hastily tried to kick life into my bike. Once I realize that the gas was off it started right up. By this time everyone was long gone. I figured, no problem, I’ll catch up and find them. Well I did catch up to Lori and we spent about 20 minutes looking for the rest of them. So much for my excellent tracking abilities and sense of direction. I had a general feel for the property but not enough detail to quickly navigate. We’d stop to listen for them but by the time we got to where they were, they were gone again. I did get to see Lori take a spill on a straight flat mowed section of a field. The first thing she asked me after I turned around to help was, “Is it really that slick?”. Yes it is. The grass track stuff had a water logged layer of loam under the grass that looked solid but broke loose at the least unexpected times.

When we all hooked up we rode the trail that the boys laid out. It went through a couple of mud holes that got larger and deeper as the day went on. In fact my son went down in one, claiming it was my fault because he followed me through a section that I barely made it out of myself. I seemed to have lost all of my mud riding abilities for the day because I found myself paddling through everything. It wasn’t a pretty picture.

As we rode down one trail we came across Weimedog’s youngest daughter on a XR100. She was pushing it. It had thrown a chain and wedged it into the shiftshaft. After we tried to fixed it on the trail with no luck she matter of factly said that she would just finish pushing it back and off she went! She had already pushed it through some ugly mud holes and hills for over a half mile and had at least another half mile to go. She really impressed me with her determination. Never whined or cried, just did what she had to do. I would have whined and cried.

Weimedog, Lori and Dave split off to explore some of the tighter, rockier sections while the boys and I broke in the loop that they made. We all laid it down at least once on the slick grass (see Lori’s crash above) but had a great time.

Back to the house for gas and drink. The next ride was to find a new trail that hooks some other trails together. You would have thought I would have already learned my lesson and not let Dave lead the way. Noooooo, I didn’t learn. As always, he was able to find the toughest way through. If I was leading, my bike wouldn’t have overheated and my son’s clutch wouldn’t have gotten toasted. But as Dave says, if I complain about a trail then it’s a good trail. All I can say id thank God for barkbusters.

Against my better judgement I again followed the “tortured trail master” back though the new trail on the last outing. I did wise up on the return route and took the high road back to the house.

It was a great day and I look forward to doing it again. I think my son will too once he gets a new tire on the back. The one he rode with had literally half the knobs missing. I’m not sure how he rode a fast as he did.

A special thanks to Weimedog’s wife who offered us lunch and soda and even had a batch of chili for dinner for anyone that wanted to stay. She even helped load the bikes and gear. I had to pass on the chili since my wife had a lasagna waiting for us when we got home. I guess that’s one way to make sure I get home on time.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
RMguy pretty much described the day! Good time was had by all and that alone made it a good day. My boy and I were trying to sort through our stuff we "panic-packed" on my last trip to Colorado when RM and his boy pulled in. It was a chilly wet day so we pulled the motorcycles in the garage to warm up. That over-grown blow torch (Salamander Heater) we use as a heater got things toasty PDQ. So we all got ready and went out to woods so RM and his boy could get a feel for the area. I kind of mixed trail breaking with trail riding this day. Woods riding with grass track at first to see where folks wanted to go. Let folks decide when they wanted to explore and break more trails.

My boy broke most of the trails we now have the last week or so and I followed along with the farm tractor last week.... I had to let him show some of the areas.( He was the one with that nasty broken collar bone...I was really happy to see him have a good safe day) Pretty nice ride. I was on my 1982 Husqvarna 430..my two wheeled tractor. I should put one of those orange/red implement triangles on the back! Plenty of traction for that old monster made the going easy even in the wet stuff. It certainly isn't the prettiest thing out there, but it chugs through that deep muddy stuff really well! ( Lori's Dave explained how the conditions were as good as they were because of the loamy nature of the ground out here..All I know is this day would not have been possible in Colorado!!! This was new for me..I had a blast out there.)

RM Dave and I left the boys to break trail while we returned to see if those KTM's had arrived...and Dave described those next events quite well.

When we all took off again I got up to a corner with Dave's boy, My boy and Off Road Warrior with his KTM250...we waited...and waited ...and Off Road decided to go back and check things out. We all followed. I have no Idea how we missed Lori and RM on the way back...but we did. So I figured they turned off on one of the other trails. So we started hunting, stopping, listening, etc. Didn't hear a thing! I was getting really concerned! Where could those two have gone! And after at least a 1/2 hour while we were trying to figure out what to do next..they appeared over the hill. whewww. LOL I don't THINK Freddie Krueger was in those woods!!!! But I was beginning to wonder!

So the boys took off showing the new trail they had cut. Nice trail ride. Lori and I sort of hung out picking around those feilds. I think her tumble hurt more than she was letting on. Tough Gal. (hope you are OK Lori)

It looked like My Boy and the RM's were having a rooster tail party so I offered to show KTM Dave and Lori some places they could build those tight trails from hell....LOL Dave was geting some pretty creative idea's! Turning the tree lines into his own personal torture tracks..AND HE WILL I am certain!

We eventually hooked up again and did another loop around the place. And when Dave (Lori's Dave) and I stopped to take stock....and we heard that rap of two strokes back in the woods, but no one was coming out! So visions of Freddie K. were returning to my thoughts.....So we waited, and after a while everyone showed up from different directions. Guess folks did some creative trail exploration and trail breaking in some cases. Folks were still smilling so I was happy.

Later RM Dave informed me of my daughters plight....and he was right. She would have pushed that damn thing al the way back to the house. ( I have to get her a real motorcycle!!!!!!) So I went off to rescue Jesse and the rest continued the exploration. I'll refer to RM Dave's report as I could hear them tearing up those woods.

I could look out over the valley and get a glimps once in a while of the goings on. Funny contrast....the three MX'rs sreaming around with Lori's Dave almost silent KTM purring along.(Very quickly I might add) Every Once in a while I could see a liittle mud skying over the general area they were riding..I was impressed with how well all three MX'ers (the RM's and My kid) were doing with those pipy bikes in that tight/slick stuff in the lower woods sections. My boy is THREATENING to show me the results of their last adventure.:scream: Maybe another time!

So after our day was done and we were all chatting, my daughter (Jesse) was NOT to be denied! So Jesse took off on My Horse ( The Percheron named Mule) and put her freind on Jesse's horse and went for a ride. Bare Back. Up over the hill to the back fields. She was going to get out and enjoy that day one way or another.....and of course after we all were done the weather cleared up! Warmed up...and today is sunny and pretty warm. And guys.....I went out this moring. Those Mud holes have lost HALF their water....Someone has a good sense of humor up there....and I have to take off to Colorado to ship more stuff home.
:( Can't wait to get back even before I go!:)

And thanks guys for the help and making a great day happen.:)

Last edited:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Thanks to Walt and his wife Mary for being excellent hosts!

We also had a good time, and look forward to putting in a "real" harescrambles loop back in those woods. :p
There's lots of potential there!

After throwing on my gear in record time, we went out to get the bikes going. My bike is actually jetted a bit sharper than O-RWarrior's, and it was not liking the cool temperatures for starting. It was maybe 40 degrees out. It did start after a little help from Dave.
We got started and headed across the road. I saw RMGuy get stalled, so I hung back a bit. Unfortunately, I lost the rest of the pack.
That seemed to be the way the rest of the day went-- I felt I was the sucker in the "Let's lose the slow rider!" game! :think

So, RM_Guy led me on a wild goose chase through some fields, one of which appeared to be covered in a thin layer of ice. The rear tire whipped around, and I managed to catch my fall with my thigh on the handlebar. :eek: Crashing for me is usually not a big deal, but it was cold that day, and I hadn't had time to warm up properly, which didn't help matters. My leg is sporting a nice blue/purple bruise, and climbing stairs is a whole new experience today.
So, I continued on, much humbled by my crash-after-five-minutes-in-an-open-field. We looped around a couple times, and then finally caught up to the rest of the group. From there, we saw the new areas cut in, and explored the perimeters of the property with weimedog. He showed me and Dave "our" little section of woods, which I'm sure we can twist into a nice, tight little woods trail. Ah, the possibilities!
After that we made another loop around the property, and finished off with some brush-hogging KTM style with OffRoadWarrior in the lead (do NOT let this person lead you through uncharted territory unless you are a masochist! Hmm. I guess that makes me a masochist!). Dave's the only guy I know who can lead other riders around in 40 degree weather and cause their bikes to overheat! (Eh, RM_Guy? You were warned out in Modena, but still decided to tag along!)

After heading back to the house for a quick pit stop, the rest of the guys went back out for one last break-in through the new trail. I decided not to press my luck for the day, and got changed. It wasn't very long before the rest of the crew headed back, with the sun going down and temperatures dropping. We cleaned off the bikes, and loaded up.
Dave and I stayed for a much-welcome bowl of chili, compliments of weimedog's wife. Definitely hit the spot after a cold day of riding! We shot the bull with them for awhile, and then made our way back home.

Of course, today is sunny and much warmer, wishing we had this weather yesterday. Thanks for letting us tear up your property, Walt! We'll be back again. ;)

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Lori,
I didn’t realize that you hurt your leg when you went down. I hope it’s doing better today.

I think my bike was running too lean and not overheating. So don’t be giving Dave too much credit for over heating my bike in 40 degree weather. I was playing with the air screw a few weeks ago and it was perfect for 60 degrees but too lean for the temps we were running at. I just assumed it over heated because I was following Dave. :p

Walt,
You can get that Husky moving right along in the woods. And on the straights you blew me away when you said that you had one more gear to go when I was totally tapped out in fifth and you were pulling away :eek: I can’t wait to see you on the VOR.

I cleaned off the bikes last night and it took an hour and a half just to get that grass and stuff untangled from all the nice little catch points. Boy, I sure do love riding in the woods! There was a mud and grass mixture packed in everywhere. I would have been longer if I hadn’t at least hosed off some of it at you house.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
LOL there is a pile of dirt under Kyle's CR as well. Actually it amazed me you MX guys didn't overheat. His Radiator was PACKED from where his front wheel was pasting that stuckko all over the front of his bike. He needs a wider fender....just think Dave, If you and your Son come up and ride enough, you will eventually bring enough dirt/grass down to your place to put another track in your yard!:)

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by RM_guy
Boy, I sure do love riding in the woods!
Must be different than the trails I've ridden with you. Usually all I've ever heard is grumbling and moaning after a detour through the trees. ;)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by WoodsRider

Must be different than the trails I've ridden with you. Usually all I've ever heard is grumbling and moaning after a detour through the trees. ;)
I meant to put a little sarcastic thingy after that comment. I may mumble and grumble but I still have a smile on my face:)

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Woods, actually the only grumbling, moaning came from those who didn't have Bark Busters and where the bark busted their knuckles!:(

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I may mumble and grumble but I still have a smile on my face:)
Must be the Paxil. :scream:

dog - I usually bring a little cheese along when riding in the woods with Dave. It goes good with the whine. :p

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
RM, My kid showed me that trail you guys crashed through...I was OK until that brush section where you have to put your head down and linebacker thought it! So I went out this morning and beat the hell out of it with a bush axe.....now its smooth sailing! Its going to rain today...and it was so dry out there yesterday! Its amazing how much rain this area of the world can absorb!:) Well off to Colorado...back in a week or so with the VOR's & the rest of the Tractors and implements.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by weimedog
...So I went out this morning and beat the hell out of it with a bush axe.....now its smooth sailing! ...
Yikes, don’t let Dave know you made the trail easy! He’ll just end up cutting another one. I appreciate it though :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico

Yikes, don’t let Dave know you made the trail easy! He’ll just end up cutting another one. I appreciate it though :)

Don't worry, I'll tell him!! :p

Sheesh, take all our fun away. Wait until you see what we do with the woods section.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Back from Colorado with a FEW MORE TOYS.

2002 Enduro 450
2000 503 ex race bike...the number tells where it came from

A backhoe to help with trial management efforts.

Lori & Dave give me a hollar if you have time...:)

Top Bottom