Ride report:220/w mods

billc

Mar 13, 2004
I've got a 220 that I just did these mods to:
relined cyl,new wiseco piston,50t rear sprocket,13 front,new chain.Pro Circuit pipe,Michelin tires M12front/S12rear,XR400 springs,10 wt oil.Stock jetting,(already had Boyesen reeds and airbox mod).
The Pro Circuit pipe fit = absolutely perfect.
No loss in low end torque.
I notice the front suspension the most! That's the best bang for the buck.That's right,better than the pipe,gearing,etc.
Get good tires.You can feel the difference.
Next,it's a toss up between pipe and gearing...

My advice:do it all.One step at a time or all at once,you will like it.It won't make your bike an open class hillclimb monster but it will make it an even better woods bike than it already is and a super play bike which is what most of us want anyway.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
How about more info on the springs? I have the same bike and most of the mods you have except for the topend and the springs. I have read all the posts about the xr400 springs...and thought about installing them. My front clickers are 4 steps away from full hard, and I do not bottom out the front end on jumps. Do the new springs make the front end less twitchy? Are they too hard in rough woods trails? How much preload did you use and which tension xr spring did you pick? I am 190lbs with gear. It can be hard to describe, but can you explain in what way they are better? Thanks.

billc

Mar 13, 2004
XR400 spring info

I surfed this site and I just did what some other guys did.I made a tool to hold the cartridge on the inside but some guys just use an air impact wrench on the allen bolt on the bottom without a tool.My PVC spacer is 7/16"(11mm).I don't remember exactly where the clickers are set but I got all my info from doing searches here and set my bike up per that info.I wrote it down somewhere.
The bike doesn't sag anymore when I sit on it.It isn't mushy like before.The suspension is firm,but supple.This was my first ride with these springs so maybe I can dink with the clickers next time to fine tune it.I am 170lbs w/o gear.48 yr old vet.Ride woods,desert,mountains,no MX,Eastern and Western Washington.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
thanks. i am still im my 20s...you know...20 + 21 = me . i will probably try the swap this winter when i go through the front forks. the front end seems ok now, but better is always nice. i just do not want to get pounded in the woods. i did the search ing a few months ago, and it looked like xr springs @ 38kg with the preload you picked was the best bet for me.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Glad you're happy with your mods. You'll REALLY be happy with the pipe after you get the jetting optimized. It'll really bring out the power that the pipe has to offer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…