sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
I went to the Cross Bar Ranch near Davis OK. on Saturday with my son Benjamin. We had a great time. It's a relatively new place, but it's got some really nice trails and terrain. Here's a quick summary.

It took me 2 hours from Wylie (NE of Dallas) to reach the park. The directions on their web site get you close, but actually getting to the parking area can be confusing on your first visit. They could use some additional signs to help you get to the right spot. The web directions state: "Exit 55 off I-35, then 1 mile west to Dolese Road and 3 miles south."

Here are some additional directions based on my visit: After you turn south on Dolese road, go until you reach a gate with a small portable building on the left side of the road. A sign for Cross Bar Ranch instructs you to call the park manager. My understanding is that he will usually meet you at the parking area (keep reading).

You continue on through the gate on a dirt road. After perhaps a mile you will pass a grassy area on the right with a picnic table and a porta-potty. This is the camping area. Continue on the dirt road through a gate past the camping area toward some radio towers. You will eventually see (after another mile more or less) a small sign pointing you to the parking area off to the left of the dirt road.

After signing the necessary forms and paying the manager, he'll give you a map that shows the two main loops you can ride; the south loop and the north loop. Both loops are one-way only. The south loop is 13 miles, with a mix of fast grassy trails and tighter rocky sections. Not much in the way of elevation changes. This section was OK, and would be good for less experienced riders.

Our favorite was the north loop. You pick up the start of the north loop near the parking area. The north loop is much more challenging than the south. It winds in, around, up and down large hills in a wooded area. The first mile or so is fairly tame, but then it starts to get interesting as it moves into the wooded hills.

There are many rocky sections, but it's not all rocky. There were also several stream crossings while following the trail. As it was all new terrain for us, we closely checked each stream before attempting to cross. With runoff from all the recent rain there were some deep spots, but we were able to avoid any submarine incidents.

We were there on Saturday, and there had been heavy rain Tuesday and Wednesday. There was some mud and slipping in the lower areas, but nothing too bad.

I believe the north loop is around 25 miles. The trail was cut to be dual-track (ATV) trails, but I think there are many of the more challenging areas of the north loop that will rarely see a quad. I just can't see many quad riders attempting many of the sections that we tackled.

Long rocky uphills and off-camber hillside trails made for some good variety. There are fast open sections, along with plenty of slower more technical sections. Some sections of the north loop bring you out on top of tall hills. It's a very beautiful sight, and you can see for miles around. It will be very nice in the spring and summer when it’s all green.

I think the north half of the park has great potential for single-track riders. It's very large (the entire park is over 6000 acres), and there is a lot of room to add in single-track connecting to/from the main loop that exists right now. If the park manager can get some new single track marked out, I would be interested in going up in the spring with my sons to spend half a day cutting trails, and the other half riding.

I've included a few pictures to give some idea of what the park looks like. Unfortunately the batteries on my camera died and I wasn't able to get better pictures that would show more of the trail.

I'm definitely up for another trip.

Seldon

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556612569rwMfiA

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ive been there but at the time there was little in the way of cut trails. i heard one of the oklahoma off road associations had a race and cut in some nice trail. was all of the new trail in cedar stuff or was it in the hardwood sections? i know there was some good looking stuff that at the time was off limits because the horse people were using it. is the manager still brad?

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, there was an enduro up there sometime recently. Many of the trails we followed had markers from the race. The trails go through the hardwood areas as well.

I know there is a section somewhere up there that is set aside for horses, but the big 6000+ acre area we rode is for OHV users.

Brad is still the manager. He's a nice guy. A motorcycle guy. He rides a KDX.

The park is open 7 days a week. I'm really thinking of maybe going back up during the week (I'm off all week). I don't want to wait until the weekend to ride again.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks Seldon, nice report.

I need to get my 200 back from the fellow I loaned it to when I broke my shoulder. This sounds like fun.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
I would recomend it! I ran the enduro up there in November and had a blast. Glad to see it is open for the public. I am going to have to head back up there.

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
I'm planning a return visit, weather permitting, on Jan 20 with 2 of my sons. I got my 200 back together, and it runs great! (Sigh of relief...)

I'm really looking forward to it. We had a blast last time. Anyone up for trying a new place is welcome to join us.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Thanks for the excellent report.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Seldon, since that's the date of the Muenster TORO event, I think I'll head up to Davis with you guys. Red River will be open, but probably pretty crowded.

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
With the weather being what it is, I won't be riding this weekend.

I grew up among the Rocky Mountains in Montana, but I've become a real winter sissy since then. One week of temps near/below freezing is enough for me! I couldn't stand a 'real' winter.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Been there, froze that, broke it off, taped it back on when it thawed out. I used to ride in anything. I've gotten a bit more selective.

cdcracing

Jan 2, 2004
JMD said:
Been there, froze that, broke it off, taped it back on when it thawed out. I used to ride in anything. I've gotten a bit more selective.
You just got older . Me to . The cold used to not bother me but now Id rather look at it out the window of my warm house . Right now it is sleeting .

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
If it was just 'cold', I might even go riding. But cold, wet and muddy doesn't sound like a recipe for fun to me. The bad thing is, my garage is so cold that my little heater can't make a dent. I can't even work on my bikes while waiting for the weather to warm up! :-(

sgifford

N. Texas SP
Apr 11, 2004
Speaking of cold weather memories; I remember holding on to the back of a motorcycle (I was 8 or 9) while my older brother went spinning around on the frozen pond in front of our farm house. The frozen pond-scum provided good enough traction that he could stay upright while he pulled me sliding along behind. Fun stuff. My 'protective gear' was probably 2 pair of corduroy pants, 5 shirts/sweater/coats and a knit cap! :-)

My dad even went so far as to take the big tractor out with us kids in the cab. He'd go sliding around in a field. Thinking about that now, as an adult, I don't know if I'd be willing to use that big expensive machine as a toy!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
im with you seldon. cold ok wet ok but not wet and cold at the same time. i am getting cabin fever though. davis sounds great. has anybody been to sulpher river up by paris? seldon, you are the closest.

jimbo,
this was the weekend you should of had your dirtbiker friends over.....hahahaha

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I agree with you guys but just had to find a way to give you a hard time. I am going stir crazy with not riding right now. I am feeling much better and ready to get back on. How is everyone doing?

Snow is OK, but wet and cold is definately not fun. You started me thinking about being young and stupid again. Not that I am any smarter, just not as stupid. Being from Ohio, we always rode in the snow and built banked tracks in the snow behind our house. We were riding honda 70 mini trails back then. Crashing never hurt in the snow (that I remember).

I am interested to checking out this Cross Bar Ranch. Include me in when you start cutting trails. I have some chain saws, hand saws, and several axs.

Top Bottom