jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
OK -

After this weekend's TORO race in the mud I am ready to try to better than just "survive". What are some good tips for riding in the mud???

-jeffd

MX823

Nov 8, 2001
Vision is important, tape an old lens to your visor to extend it out. If you are behind someone and they let the roost fly deflect it with your visor. Also running hand guards will help by keep the mud off the controls. Foam in and around the shifter/brake lever.

As far as techniques to use , throttle control ! Spinning the rear wheel out of tuns when they are slick just isn't fun. If you ride the clutch a bit it will help, if you are not so proficient at that try riding a gear higher .

You body should still be centered but try to weight the rear more and get traction. Done by shifting your torso back.

Braking is affected so anticpate your braking, the rear/front tire may want to lock causing you to skid which decreases the effectiveness. SO brake a bit earlier and not as hard.

Mud causes ruts to form so practice riding ruts, they offer traction when the terrain is slick.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
MX823 gave some great advice... but im gonna add to it:)

Anyway.. keep your speed up. Im sure you know since i see you ride a 125. But its very importand in the mud. Once you stop it takes awhile to get back up to speed. So DONT CRASH! :p j/k try not to, but its not imperitive. Umm.. dont lock the front brake?;) thats just common sense... When ever you manage to find a straight, speed up! keep the mud off your tires, and the best way to do that is... *gasp* spin them!:D Also, believe it or not, the faster you go, the easier it is. Let the bike move under you, dont try to make it go exactly where you want it to. Just point it in the general direction and it will get there.

BTW - who says spinning out of a slick corner isnt fun?

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
RE: 426

Taraker if you buy it, I'll fly it :)
Until my money tree starts to blossom, I'll have to keep riding my mini-bike!

As for the riding part, I just need to do it more. It sucks to ride in the mud, but races do go on and if you want to get better you just have to practice, practice, practice...

Even if I do get to where I can ride in the mud fairly well I will still hate the post-ride clean up! I am sure that there will be dirt falling out of my bike for weeks to come despite spending several $$$ at the car wash.

-jeffd

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
when Im riding in mud or across long pools of shallow water Ive found the best thing to do is sit way back on the seat, keeping you body kinda low and as much over the rear tire as you can. you can keep your speed up, and the front wheel is light so it kinda floats on top the mud/water. you have less chance of the front wheel getting bogged down in the mud this way.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
You might already know, but WD40. That stuff works realy well for mud. It will still build up but not as much. Also, it makes it easier to clean. Just don't cover you seat, controls, or breaks.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by Danman
You might already know, but WD40. That stuff works realy well for mud. It will still build up but not as much. Also, it makes it easier to clean. Just don't cover you seat, controls, or breaks.

Trust me when I tell you that I might be getting a sponsorship from WD-40 after all of that stuff I sprayed on my bike before the TORO race!

BTW Taraker - The next can is on you;)

-jeffd

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Similar to WD-40, use PAM that stuff you spray on pots before you cook, that stuff works wonders in the mud, and then when it dries all you do is rev your engine a little and it falls right off. I spray that stuff everywhere except for brakes and controls when riding in the mud.

Top Bottom