Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Any N.C. riders here? We are contemplating a move to N.C., just north of Raleigh, and were wondering what kind of riding opportunities are around that area. We ride mostly woods/trails, I love technical single track and challenging climbs. A major factor in our decision will be the riding opportunities, but even if we don't move, I'll be spending some time in the area working, and would like to ride a little while I'm there.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Dennis there's alot of really good people down here to ride w/. And catch up w/myself, Gomer or some others in the area and we'll show ya a good time :thumb:

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
flynbryan, thanks for the reply, sounds good. I'll have to let ya' know when I'll be in N.C. BTW, in response to your sig. line, yes I do, and he's alot better than the Moo Juice commercials! ;)

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
RickinNC wuharrie has some fairly decent hill climbs, and we found a place back behind Ocechap's house this weekend w/some sweet climbs. I'll catch up w/you the next time we go if your interested/and if its alright w/Jim of course ;) Dennis, looking forward to riding w/ya. Let us know when your in town. :thumb:

Bruce McCrary

Nov 10, 1999
There are at least 3 NFS riding areas in NC as well as a brand new privately owned park, also there is a really nice privatley owned park in SC not far from the NC/SC line.

Also, there are two hare scrambles series that run during the spring thru fall season, another that runs in the winter. There are two Va series that run during the spring thru fall season as well.

The GNCC has a round in NC, and SC. This year there will be two in NC if all goes well. SETRA runs H/S and enduros during the winter for the most part.

There are a lot of privately owned H/S tracks around as well. It won't take you long to meet enough people to get invited to ride on off week-ends.

The bad news is that you'll be facing at least a two hour tow to ride in most of the places I'm talking about from the Raleigh/Durham area. Most are in the central to central western part of the state. But that being said, this area is dirt bike heaven as far as I'm concerned.

jns

Jan 20, 2003
Would you mind elaborating on those areas you described.I'm in western NC near asheville.Sounds like you raleigh guys have it made.Thanks.

RickinNC

Jul 18, 2001
Hey JNS,
Brown Mountain OHV park isn't too far from you, it's pretty nice... only 3 single track "bike only" trails though. Still, it's a great place to ride and you can camp there too (have to triler/truck the bikes to trailhead though- no riding on dirtroad) There are plenty of hillclimbs there... @4 hour drive for me though so I reserve it for camping trips. Weekdays are best cause of the 4 wheelers...

RickinNC

Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by flynbryan
RickinNC wuharrie has some fairly decent hill climbs, and we found a place back behind Ocechap's house this weekend w/some sweet climbs. I'll catch up w/you the next time we go if your interested/and if its alright w/Jim of course ;) Dennis, looking forward to riding w/ya. Let us know when your in town. :thumb:
I appreciate it, count me in next time you go. I haven't done Uwharrie yet but I hear it's quite rocky. I'll probably be checking it out this spring.

CR-For-Ever

Feb 25, 2002
Uharrie Apparently does but when I visited I saw tons of bikes without spark arrestors.

Uharrie is awesome I go every summer it's got some huge hils it's tough riding on 125's

RickinNC

Jul 18, 2001
Brown Mtn. requires them too. But when the ranger came all he checked was that we had permits. I brought my arrester both times I've went but haven't had to bolt it on.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I rode wuharrie last yr. Jim and didn't have a spark arrestor, nor did I know I needed one though :eek: No doubt Rick we'll drop you a line. I know you must have seen the thread on the Suthin ride at TNT. You should come out. :thumb: It looks like we're gonna have pretty much the whole Charlotte area crew there. We MIGHT even be able to convince the the McCrary crew to come :eek:

scotth

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Brown Mountain is great fun. Here is a trail map if any one needs one.
Weekdays are definitely the best time to go. Brown Mtn. opens March 16.
Uwharrie opens April 1, and is definitely more rocky then Brown Mountain, but still lots of fun. It has some technical hill climbs with lots of obstacles. Be sure to dodge the boulders, ATVs, Jeeps, horses and mountain bikers on the way up. :scream:

Attachments

• bm-trails1.jpg
    bm-trails1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 136

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom