joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I thought if I kept moving, "Arthur Ritus" would get tired and bother someone else! Nope!
I broke my leg badly in '88 and after 38 years of racing and 6 knee surgeries later, time for a new knee :bang:
I'm sure racing since '88, the marathons I ran in didn't help, (hey! life is not a spectator sport!!)
I'm going to finish this race season, (I'll take the pain!)
So now the question- can I still race next year???
From what I read, I can lead a fairly normal?????? life, no running, impact sports though.
I thought I'd just tool @ behind my sons, but after all these years of racing.... well I could do it for a mile or so!
Does anyone know if I'll be able to do squat????
Limping Joe :ahhh:

OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
Hey Joe, the way my ortho explained it to me was.... Dave people get new knees so they can walk to the bathroom, not ride motocross. I guess he doesn't get it. Good luck.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Baloney!

Phil Douglas, owner of Aftershocks Suspension in Palo Alto, Ca has 2 total knee replacements & rides & races all the time. In one weekend he got a second in "A" Senior during an enduro & won "A" senior in a cross country race. You may want to call him, ask him what kind of knees he had put in, his number is 650-494-8849

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I threw this on as many forums as I could to see what the REAL story is. :yikes:
My wife, (she's a nurse who does these type of replacemants a lot), told me the doc sHAVE to say take it easy. :think: But, as I am beginning to see, a LOT of us, "experienced" riders have parts made by Mattel in our bodies and still out there banging trees.
Joe :ride:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I'm interested in this subject too. I wonder why the can't make a knee replacement with servicable parts?

dnchevyman

Dec 27, 2005
i want a carbon fiber/titanium knee. adjustable preload and adjustable return springs, with 2 little coil-over shocks to take some of the load off. Now THAT would be kick ass! :ride:

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I'll call Race Tech and see if they can set me up with a pair!! :nener:
I wonder do you have to tell them your riding style, (old and slow), the type of bike you ride on, (one with training wheels) :(
You think SOMEONE would make a nice set of bike knees for us old-timers! :bang:
limpy Joe :ride:

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Invest in some nice knee braces if you haven't already and keep your legs strong is my advice.

My step-dad had his knee replaced about 2 years ago and he loves it. He'll be having the other one done in the future. Although he doesn't ride or do anything overly vigorous, he can actually walk now.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Man, I don't even want to think about knee replacement ( I've blown both my knees ) ! As far as I know though, where there is a will there is a way ........... and dirt bikers have to be some of the most hard headed people I know ...... especially when it comes to having fun !

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom