JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Apparently Jim Pomeroy was killed yesterday in a Jeep trail rollover. He was 53.

Jim was my first moto hero. I had a Bultaco when i was 14, and I used to pretend that I was Jim when I rode it.

From Pomeroy's hall of fame web page:

Jim Pomeroy is responsible for a number of firsts in motocross during the 1970s. His record of first includes:

* The first American to win an FIM World Championship MX Event (Spain 1973)
* The first rider to win his debut World GP MX race (Spain 1973)
* The first American to lead the World MX Championship (Spain 1973)
* The first rider to win a World MX GP on a Spanish MX bike (Bultaco)
* The first winner of an indoor Supercross race (Houston, 1974)
* The first American to lead the Trans-AMA Championship (1975)
* The first American to win a moto at the U.S. 500cc GP race (Carlsbad 1977)
* The first non-world champion to win the Trophies des-Nations event (1974)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
God Speed Jim.........

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wow, that sucks. RIP Jim... THE FIRST American MX Superstar. You are one of the reasons I ride.

stevet

Jan 11, 2005
I remember hearing about his victory in spain back in 73, I was 14 at the time. I think it was cyclenews that had him on the cover.....I was riding a bultaco 250 back then and thought that him winning was just the greatest thing in American Motocross History.....funny I just did a "google" search on him a month or so ago.........this is really some sad news.....

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Wow! I met Jim a couple of years ago when he visited Australia. He came to one of our vintage club days and raced. Seemed like a really nice friendly guy and a true legend of the sport.

Sorry to hear the news.

RIP Jim.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Sorry to hear it. It's unfortunate a person like this dies so early in his life. At least he was doing something he enjoyed.

Top Bottom