SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Hi Folks,

I'll post more later, but her is my Dad's obit:

Roger Raymond Welty, 87, died on May 10, 2011 at Northside Hospital Forsyth in Cumming, GA. Born in Dubuque, IA he was the son of the late Oscar and Dolores Brandt Welty. Roger and wife Jane were 49-year residents of Camanche, IA.

Roger graduated from Dubuque High in 1941 and attended the University of Dubuque, then enlisted in the Army during WWII, attaining the rank of Cpl. He graduated from the University of Iowa with a BA in Sociology and earned two Masters degrees, in Administration and Counseling.

He was a three-time Golden Gloves boxing Champion, a life-long Boy Scout and leader, earning the Silver Beaver award. A longtime member of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church and VFW Post 9664, he was devoted to his family and his church. He was a member of the Associates of St. Francis, Cornbelt Running Club, MFSA, and a lifetime member of the NEA.

Roger was the first Principal of the Camanche High and pioneered the Camanche public school counseling program. He taught by example, The Golden Rule. He had a life-long passion for being a parent and husband – and cared about all kids.

Roger is survived by his wife Jane of Cumming, GA (formerly of Camanche, IA); brother Wayland (Naomi) Welty of Cedar Park, TX; son Roger G. Welty (Peggy) of Astoria, OR, daughter Sandi DeMango (Marvin Mobley) of Aurora, CO, son Ken Welty (Joan) of Cumming, GA, son Ted Welty of Portland, OR; also survived by Grandchildren Catherine Parks (Jim), Theresa (Arlo Wand), Jill, Mark, Rick, Alyson, LaNae, Elizabeth and Valerie Welty, Matthew Sanders, Heather Droessler (Michael) ; Great-grandchildren Hannah, Christopher, Hailey, Sarah and Sean Parks, Alejandro Perez-Welty, Michael Jr. and William Droessler.

Condolences may be expressed on-line at www.mcdonaldandson.com.

Donations in lieu of flowers can be made to the Boy Scouts, Mesquakie District BSA, P.O. 3203, Clinton, IA 52732; or to St. Marks Methodist Church, Camanche, in honor of Roger Welty.

Arrangements by Pape Funeral Home, Clinton, IA. Visitations at St. Mark’s Methodist Church will be from 4:30pm to 7pm on Friday, May 27, and from 9am to 10:30am on Saturday, May 28. Funeral service at St. Marks will be at 11am on Saturday, luncheon and ice cream to follow at the church.

Here are some links, if any of you are interested:

http://www.qcliberators.com/welty.htm

http://www.encyclopediadubuque.org/index.php?title=WELTY,_Roger

http://www.encyclopediadubuque.org/index.php?title=BOXING

http://kvisit.com/S5r6rAQ
(short link to download avi video file for Roger Welty's memorial service at Laurel Creek - 557Mb, 26 minutes long. Please note this video file can take a very long time to down-load, especially true if your internet connection is slow.)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Camanche-IA-Cumming-GA/Roger-Welty/166350176759471

He was probably the best man I will ever meet.

I'll post some shots of him riding my XR80 three years ago, in April of '08, I think. I still have his 1975 XS650. (He bought it from my wife, before we were married, when she moved up to a Seca 550, in 1981.) I'll also post some pics of him helping crew when I was chasing WERA Endurance Championships.

Driving him back to Camanche, myself, Monday, or Tuesday. Honored to be able to take him back home, myself!

Ken

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Sorry for your loss. Losing parents sucks no matter how old they (or you) are.

Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
So sorry Ken. Sounds like your dad was a pretty special guy.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Sorry to hear about your Dad Ken. It sure sounds like he made good use of the time he had.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
There is a song I'm very fond of, by John Prine, titled "Grandpa Was a Carpenter."

My Grandpa was a machinist, my father formed people. I truly come from good stock. Btw, my Mom was a librarian. Organized, I might note.

Thank you all, for your kind words, and allowing me to indulge here.

Okie, I really wanted my Dad to meet your Dad. Sorry I didn't get it done. Now it's up to me. I'd hope to get your folks together with my Mom, sometime when she is back in Camanche.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Rich Rohrich said:
Sorry to hear about your Dad Ken. It sure sounds like he made good use of the time he had.

My thoughts exactly, he had a productive life! We should all hope to end this thing with so much to write about our time here.

Godspeed.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Mully

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm sorry to hear that, Ken. He certainly sounds like quite a person.

I didn't realize you were that close. We need to get together some time.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Ken:

As many here know, there are really no words that can be said that fill the void left from the loss of a love one.

Clearly your father filled his dash well.

All most of us want is to know we made a difference. Reading the obit, it is abundantly clear that your father made a difference.

Tony

Top Bottom