TwittyMC

Aug 15, 2006
Hey im a new member with a 1996 RM 125. It runs great, starts on the first kick, and is a blast. Two concerns. The previous owner told me to only run it 50:1 (gas/oil mixture) but didnt give a reason why (i cannot get ahold of him anymore). Now i am no mechanic but i was under the impression that 32:1 is standard mixture which is also what the service manual says to run. Could he be running a bigger piston or something? So my first question is what engine mods or changes would make someone want to run a bike 50:1 instead of the suggested amount? My second question. Grease/oil, a deffinite mixture of both, is coming out of my front sprocket. Sometimes a decent little puddle of oil, (but nothing that has affected my level) comes out from behind the front sprocket along with a butt-load of grease. The grease may be from my chain, but there seems like far too much for that to be the case. Could i have a bad seal behind my sprocklet? I just dont know, thats why im here and would appreciate any help on either subjects. Thanks alot

Last edited:

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
To answer your first question run 32:1 unless you like to go through top ends like crazy.

And to answer your second question you have blown your front fork seals.

TwittyMC

Aug 15, 2006
why would running 50:1 blow my top end, and what if some mechanical changes call for a 50:1 mixture? and what do fork seals have to do with my front SPROCKET

Last edited:

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
it depends on how you ride,and what the plug looks like
too lean will burn up the rings ,50:1-? look at the plug it should be tan
darker can be too much oil ,or too much fuel,usually oil
i use 40:1 or 36-38 it depends. i ride hard too though
32 is so it is really lubed from factory
so is 20:1-air coolers
and ends up drooling oil out the pipe ,and silencer from not burning,and can glaze up the cylinder
i also use klotz oil it is verry good ,and burns clean and helps remove carbom buildup -great for power valves

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have run 32:1 in everything from 125's up to my current 500 with zero problems. Spooging out the pipe is not the product of too much oil. It is a jetting issue. 32:1 is a "safe" ratio to run for a wide variety of riding styles. Whatever ratio you decide, stick with it and jet the bike accordingly. The countershaft seal, located directly behind the front sprocket, is what is leaking. This is a cheap $5.00 seal that is easily replaced by removing the front sprocket and carefully prying the old seal out and installing the new seal.

Top Bottom