rm 125

steve33

Aug 30, 2002
my rm 125 will not start is it possible that i need a top end rebuild if so the cylinder walls are not damaged what is my next step, new piston and rings, or do i need to get it bored and slightly larger piston and rings or do i have to have it plated. just an occasional rider

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
you'll have to measure everything in order to make a decision about what to do w/ the cylinder and piston.

There are many different issues that could contribute to hard starting. Spark and fuel. Chipped or worn reeds could make starting difficult, too.

Check for spark. Make sure your fuel filter (inside the tank) is not clogged...take the fuel hose off and check for flow. If that's OK, check your reeds. While your carb is off, clean all of the jets and float bowl. If the reeds and carb look good, check your compression before you start tearing the engine apart.

Let us know how it goes.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
No. Remember to do a good check you need to pull the pipe and carb and seal the openings. But even with just getting 40 I would say it's time for a new top end.

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
When you do a compression check-you need to three kick it.
It will not run w/o at least 100psi.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
To do a compression test,leave the pipe and carb on the bike just as it is.Hold the throttle wide open with holding the kill switch.Just keep kicking until the needle tops out(stops moving)Roughly around 20 kicks.Too make it a little easier I set the kicker just when the piston is tdc(stiffest point then kick).You do not take a reading from the fisrt kick,just keep on kicking until the needle on the tester stops climbing. ARE YOU GUYS STOKED I AM STOKED. :scream: :scream:

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…