RM 85 Overheating

XR 250R RIDER

Apr 5, 2001
I have a 02 RM 85 and at one of the last races, my bike overheated. It looked like the pump was running and i'm pretty sure there was liquid in the radiator. I know somebody else in my class that has a RM 85/80 and his bike overheated too. Is there something that I could do to make the bike cool better or something that the RM minis have had a problem with that I can do something about to fix it? Anybody else have these problems??? Thanks

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Typical for long races when temps go up. We have had a 99,01,02 & 03 and all spit coolant.

Try the Boysen waterpump impeller. As it helps some.
Watch what pipe you run. Aftermarket pipes like the PC, SST or DEP allow 500 - 1500 rpms of more usuable power. More RPM = More Heat.
Retard the timing a tad. helps.

The best fix I found was a 1.8 radiator cap made for a 2000 KX65. You can find a 1.3 or 1.4 at the local speedshop that has Fast & Furious stuff for Import Cars. Mazda caps fit.

Since we run long offroad events up to 2+ hours (Junior Enduros) I also added a Buds Racing head. These heads work well and add 3-4 ounces of more capacity.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…