JesterRR

Jun 21, 2005
I need some help... I have a leaky fork seal on my 1998 RM125, I guess I need to know the basics to replacing the seal. It looks easy enough, but I'm sure it's more complicated then it looks. Any tips? How much fork oil is needed?

Also, I am having problems tuning it. When I bought the bike, it was running way to rich. The guy put a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer on it, but left the stock main jet in it. I called Pro Circuit, and they told me what main to go with, I put that in, and it leaned it out a lot, but it still seems to be running rich (kinda boggy) and I can't for the life of me get it to idle. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance guys.

Bill

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
adjust the air screw. try moving the clip on the needle.

for fork seals. grab a manual or ask the shop for the level - you need to bleed the air out. does that bike have inverted forks?

JesterRR

Jun 21, 2005
nickyd said:
adjust the air screw. try moving the clip on the needle.

for fork seals. grab a manual or ask the shop for the level - you need to bleed the air out. does that bike have inverted forks?

Okay, I've messed with the air screw, and I'm now to the point of moving the needle. It's already at 1 notch from the top, so I'm going to move it up and see what happens. Otherwise it looks like I'm going to have to go another main jet down.

How do I know if it has inverted forks??

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

JesterRR

Jun 21, 2005
minutz said:
Did you adjust the ''clicks" on the choke knob? It will (should) have more bottom end response if it doesn't idle.

Yeah, I've been messing with the choke knob. I haven't had much response either way with it.

I have however had a couple different people telling me different stories...... either that it either should, or shouldn't idle. It was a race bike, so a guy told me that it doesn't idle incase you bail.. it shuts off, but another guy has the same year bike, and his idle, so I dunno.
:bang:

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You can make the bike idle if that's what you want. Most MX bikes are setup to die after a few seconds without throttle as this gives the bike the best throttle response, upping the idle can affect the throttle response. Also RM125's didn't get inverted forks until 99.

Top Bottom