r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
HI all,
I ride a 04 KDX200,and i guess im about an intermediate rider.I ride mostley woods/enduro type terrain and am looking to possibly upgrade my ride.Which of the above two bikes woould make a good conversion to the type of riding that i do at present with a bit of fiddling with valving and flywheel weights.I probably wouldn't get anything older than a year old,or new maybe.
any input appreciated,
Thanks,Rog

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
I've got both (03) KX 250 and a (01) KDX200. My KX has 13/49 gearing, 10 oz FWW, revalved suspension, skid plate. The KX is pretty decent for single track but the KDX is lot happier plonking along at a snails pace in tight technical sections. Never rode an RM so I can't compare but it seems like a lot more KX 250's are converted for woods use as well as YZ 250's. I guess my point is you may be happier just keeping your KDX depending on the terrain you ride. The KX really rips from mid to top range though.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
You mentioned you may even go new...? Are these bikes still available in Newzealand? Here in the U.S '08 was the last of the RM's, and the KX's stopped 2-3(?) years before that. The 06-08 RM's had really good, torquey, woods motors and in my opinion nothing handles better. Been a while since we've had a KX, so can't help you there. Either bike will need some $ to make into a woods weapon that's equipped like your KDX.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I went from riding KTM's recently to riding a RM (an older one at that - 03). After some work on the motor (265, 10 oz Flywheel, steel clutch drive plates) the motor is by far my favorite motor ever. (I've owned KDX'x for years too, excellent trail bike).
I am now waiting to get my suspension back from MX Tech...can't wait to get it out for a ride. I have had a KX in the past as well...liked that too, so really...pick a color and plan on spending a few bucks to get it the way you like it.
IMO all bikes newer than oh say 99 are capable of doing anything quite well.
A friend of mine keeps saying that if you throw enough money at any bike, it can be made great.

dirtfreak200

Sep 28, 2008
I had a 1994 Rm250 and rode trails with it then moved down to the kdx200 I did alot better but Im sure if you do so work to it could be a good trials bike.:)

fastrider11

Sep 2, 2007
Rm250

The RM is a better woods bike than the KX.The Rm has a very good bottom end power off the powerband so you can just lug it through the woods so it makes a very good woods bike.My RM250 is set up for sure, but i know a guy that races with me and the only thing he did with his was get a big gas tank.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The RM's got really fast starting in '03. But the '03 has a flat nasty delivery and it's a toughy to jet. The '04s were getting a little more dialed in but still much like the '03. '05 was better yet had more broad power and jetting was not too tough. '06 -'08 the factories figured it out... sweet.

Top Bottom