redneck23ms

Mar 24, 2007
i just bought a project 1990 rmx 250 last week.the previous owner put a new topend on the bike and then couldn't get it to run. it was getting water in the cylinder. so i figured he messed up the head gasket or base gasket. turns out it was the base gasket. i replaced the base gasket and head gasket. along with changing the trans oil and cleaning the carb etc. the old oil did have some water in it. now that it is back together i'm getting lots of water in the trans as well as oil in the pipe. i'm guessing all the water in the trans pushed the oil into the powervalve an out the pipe. what should i do next? is there anyway for water to get into the oil through the powervalve? any help would be appreciated

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You are probably right on the pump seal.

The PV and the tranny oil are seperate so you're not going to be getting oil between the two. Are you seeing black goo in the pipe? It's probably just a jetting issue. There is a link to some jetting threads at the top of the 2 Stroke forum.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
water pump seal will get it into the tranny yes, but if it's getting into the pipe as well you still have a leak in the head or base gaskets.

redneck23ms

Mar 24, 2007
its definitely tranny oil in the pipe. i took off the pipe and filled the rads with water and couls watch the water/oil mix run out of the p/v. its coming up through the channel where the linkage is for the p/v is.

redneck23ms

Mar 24, 2007
yep. pulled the side cover off and plugged the waterpump port. then dumped water in the hose on top of the waterpump and it tricked out on the tranny side of the cover. will be installing a new seal after lunch.

Top Bottom