Tony Tice

Feb 18, 2004
I'm impressed! At least from the dyno's point of view. Today was the first time I have been able to get a RMZ250 and do some testing with it. Nice engine design. Suzuki/Kawasaki did an excellent job building the engine that's for sure.

It makes excellent torque right away and has a great powerband with excellent breadth with lots of useable rpm. Excellent throttle response and great engine acceleration.

Rich, have you and Eric played with this machine yet? Are there a lot of people on this forum that own them?

Tony

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I rode one and IMO it was a slug. I rode it back-to-back with my 125 and also an '04 YZ250F. I did like the ergs and handling, though. I'd take either of those over the RM-Z any day. I would really like to try a CR-F now.

Tony Tice

Feb 18, 2004
MXFastGuy said:
I rode one and IMO it was a slug. I rode it back-to-back with my 125 and also an '04 YZ250F. I did like the ergs and handling, though. I'd take either of those over the RM-Z any day. I would really like to try a CR-F now.

Whe you say slug, what do you think it needs? And what 125 were you comparing it too? What were the conditions that rode it in?

Tony

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Indoor track, the RM-Z was stock, but nearly brand new. The YZ-F was also totally stock. My YZ125 has a V-Force reed cage. The power just felt flat, not a lot of grunt or snap. Granted, I'm coming off a 2-stroke, but I've spent a fair amount of time on thumpers, and rode a YZ-F the same day. The RM-Z cornered real well, but it just didn't have the snap that the YZ-F had to get over some of the doubles right out of the corners as easily.

So maybe it's better outdoors where it can rev. Maybe it just needed a tooth or two on the rr sprocket. Maybe it needed jetted. I dunno. This is just my opinion on the bike, and fwiw some others felt the same way.

All that said, it's 10% bike and 90% rider, so I don't think you could go wrong with any bike. It comes down to dealer support and what your favorite color is! :-)

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Wow MX!! :flame:

I rode the RMZ on a short loop at a Texas cross country event & loved it, really handled VERY well & made boocoo power everywhere, `cept way up top :think: , & the contingency money is $400 for a 1st place in my class! :thumb:

In the big wide open I thought I could definitely smoke any 125 or 250 bike, and easily pick off big bores in the woods &/or tight stuff.

The top end was alittle week but livable, may need to be tweaked a bit.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tony - We are waiting on a cylinder head to come in. So far everyone I've talked to likes the bike, but the reliability of these things has been really suspect, which is really unfortunate.

Last edited:

Tony Tice

Feb 18, 2004
The goofy little bugger produced

More torque than a stock YZ250F at low rpm and about the same hp and torque in the middle and slightly better over-rev hp. It didn't have as much peak hp as the YZ250F but, it made excellent power where the YZ didn't.

I liked the way the engine accelerated, very linear and progressive with no humps, or dips in the delivery. Using loaded tests on the dyno really brings the character of an engine out and I liked this little engine. It seemed pretty happy to me. No disrespect MX but, it's a fast 250 engine with better torque than the Yamaha YZ250F & YZ125 and has nearly as much HP as the YZ250F which is more than the YZ125.

Tony

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Some of them are not running well-the one i rode was running lean and hot with the same jetting as the others, its felt flat on power and didnt like to rev-i feel the engine isnt fully sorted as yet.

Tony Tice

Feb 18, 2004
I can't remember the numbers but

The peak torque was sooner than a YZ by about a thousand rpm and the peak HP was down about 1.5 hp. It really was a happy engine though. Urgent sounding.

Tony

Tony Tice

Feb 18, 2004
I'm not going to say

My dyno numbers are gathered differently than what the conventional method is. Since I use loaded testing and a CycleDyn dyno my numbers are considerably different than those of a DynoJet using inertia. Sorry.

Tony

Top Bottom