marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
This baby had the works-removed reed spacer/v force/husky piston/38mm carb/2001hgs exhaust+2001 manifold/wulf programmable cdi/VHM head/ported cylinder.In total the mods cost over £1000- thats about $1400.Now i was fully expecting it to be a rocket but as usual with these mix and match set ups it wasnt very fast at all-a good std RM/KTM/YZ would have done better-it had reasonable top end(but not loads)and not much bottom and not much mid and a bit of overrev.I personally think the porting was the problem-the 2002 doesnt need much porting IMO.The VHM head is IMO only a reliablity aid-it has a lower volume head for less detonation(a total waste of money IMHO)you can get a good tuner to mod a head for £20 why spend £200. The moto is choose your mods/tuners wisely(dont get a road race tuner to do a MX cylinder unless he does alot)We have our 02Crs set up with shorty silencers/v force and husky pistons(cost total £250) and they were alot better than this modded cr:)

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Gumby,
Is the purpose of the Husky piston to reduce slap? I have an '02 250and it sounds like a Maytag on spin cycle pulling a load in a higher gear. I milled the head and put a Pro circuit pipe and shorty silencer on it and now it pulls great (i;m typing with hands like claws form hanging on to it all day!) but I wouldn't mind reducing the noise. BTW, I will be in the UK in early June are there any good mx races around then for spectating purposes? :cool:

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Gunby, sorry I just noticed that I accidentally called you "gumby" which if I remember my Monty Python correctly might be offnesive to someone of the British persuasion. Told you my hands were roached, so was my brain evidently, :o

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Beef no problem on the spelling but you are right on the Monty Python tag,the husky piston does reduce slap as does the wiseco and SRS,another benefit of the husky piston is it has no window for more bottom end and no lightening holes around the piston pin area so it increases crancase compression ratio.Ive heard the 250 has a similar loose piston problem like the 125.A vertex/wiseco should help the 250 as well.
For racing fixtures in the Uk try www.jamiedobb.co.uk and www.mxlarge.com

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks for the tip and the links, maybe I'll see you at the races, I've seen some of the UK motocross series on speedvision and they look like good racing. Think I'll try a Wiseco or Vertex, that sound gets in my head and bugs me!

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks Gunby,I'll do that It'd be very cool to see a race there, local or national, it's all good! BTW do you guys have to ride on the left side of the track? J/K;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom