Roy and Klatt? Where do they fit?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
karterron said:
Reminds me of all the talk about Everts. How he is faster than this guy based on beating that guy. In the end, it meant nothing.

You're right he walked away from Stewart after all that talk. :nener:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
LazyBoy said:
Mike Alessi.
Do you really want to compare Alessi's supercross career to Klatts? Last year in the West, Alessi's results were 9th, 10th, 7th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th. Overall finish 4th overall and 2nd Outdoors.

Again, top 5 talent doesn't do as poorly as Klatt has in SX and then all of a sudden find this top 5 speed Outdoors. Never happened before, won't happen with Klatt either.

Would you like to compare Dungey now to Klatt? This is his first time at Supercross also. He is a top 5 Outdoor rider as he showed last year. How did he do in his first SX? How has Klatt done? Where is all this extra speed going to miracously come from?

Talent rises, no matter what the series is.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Chili said:
You're right he walked away from Stewart after all that talk. :nener:
I was referring to all the GOAT talk, who was better RC or Everts. The fans made a bigger deal of it than Everts, he openly admits Ricky is faster.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002

You need to check Dungey's outdoor results before you climb on that train. 7th OA at his home track in a mudfest followed by a 15th, 21st and 26th make him a top 5 rider? BTW the guy that finished 5 seconds behind Dungey even though he stalled his bike would get smoked by Klatt outdoors. And with all due respect to Dungey's first win take a peak at the lineup he beat, my guess is he'd have been lucky to get a top 8 in a west round.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
So doesn't that make your argument about Klatt vs Lange mute?

Good thing Klatt will get to show that top 5 speed REAL soon.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The point is you've got Dungey as a top five guy, Lange would have handled him easily had he not stalled the bike.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Dungey will be a top 5 guy outdoors. Lange will get his chance to "handle" him on Saturday. I bet Lange doesn't even get 2nd this week, let alone beat Dungey.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I dont think Lange would have handled him easily, after all Dungey finished with a solid 5 second cushion, and the only reason that Lange finished second was because Townley's bike grenaded and he had to drop out of the race. Also, Alessi, Laninovich, and Hahn all crashed.

But I have to agree, Dungey was definitely not a top 5 guy last year in MX, but I wouldnt expect a rookie entering the series after Millville to be top 5 anyway. We'll see how Dungey does this weekend and see if he can prove that Atlanta wasnt a fluke. Although in my opinion he is the real deal, Decoster wouldnt have signed him if he wasnt. As far as motocross goes, Dungey would be doing really well if he is top 10 this year outdoors in his first full pro season, but I still dont think he is a top 5 guy when the entire lites field is racing. That doesnt mean he wont get some top 5 finishes, I believe he is capable of that but probably not consistently.

In my opinion, the west series has a deeper talent pool than the east this year. But in any event the East/West Shootout and the Lites MX series are going to be real exciting this year and it is going to be interesting to see how the talent pool shakes out.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I would agree with what you have to say. I think Dungey will be top 5 Outdoors, but you're right some guys stuggle their first year. Based on that, I could see him top 10.

However, the point of this is for these guys saying Klatt is a top 5 Outdoor rider right now. Somebody even said that Klatt is a top 5 rider Outdoors for both classes. That amuses the hell out of me, but that's just my opinion. My point is, NOBODY has gone from 12th to 17th in SX to one of the 5 best riders in the Outdoors. Some of these guys are in for a rude awakening outdoors.

Watch how quick the excuses start flying when that bubble bursts. Bad starts, crashes, his bike's too slow, they will all get said.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I think it is time for a small wager between Chili and Katerron :cool:
If Klatt runs top 5 outdoors then Karterron sends me the best local brew from his area. If Klatt runs 12th to 17th Chili sends me some of that great Canadian brew (and not the strange brew :whoa: )
This will be interesting to follow as the outdoors gets going and should make for some interesting racing. Just hoping everyone stays healthy

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
i watched a canadian race this past weekend. the st. jolie race in quebec. klatt was flat out gone on lange. it's hard not to imagine the same in this years mx series. but stats mean nothing once the gate drops.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Bench racing rocks doesnt it! This thread alone has made me more excited for the lites outdoor series, it is going to be good if they can keep Villopoto in check. :cool:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
JST122 said:
Bench racing rocks doesnt it! This thread alone has made me more excited for the lites outdoor series, it is going to be good if they can keep Villopoto in check. :cool:

I was with ya until the last sentence, no one is going to keep Poto in check unless perhaps Townley remembers how to stay on the bike for more than 2 weeks at a time.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Chili said:
I was with ya until the last sentence, no one is going to keep Poto in check unless perhaps Townley remembers how to stay on the bike for more than 2 weeks at a time.

I agree, it is going to be tough to beat RV, but there were a variety of moto winners last year and I think there will be again this year. If Hepler can get healthy and stay healthy, I believe he can run Villopoto's pace outdoors. Either way, I think the lites series is going to be the one to watch this year.

I gotta say I am interested to see how Alessi does on a 450 outdoors this year.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Nope, He crashed his brains out in the first moto on a lap one pileup, didn't get going again until he was a minute 30 back, ended up 34th running lap times that would place him 11-15th without a crash. Second moto all I can find is he finished 11th I don't have any details.

Based on what I've been seeing at the prequel and lap times and such I still feel he'll comfortably finish inside the top ten most weeks, he'll need a start to make any top fives though which I suspect will be tough as he gives up 20-30 pounds to most guys in the class. For me I'm hoping consistency and solid finishes will help Dusty finish somewhere between 6-9th on the season and get him a big bike ride for next year.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
That's a lot more realistic that some of the nonsense I have read around the different message boards. One "fool" said he was capable of running with RC and Bubba. I have said all along the lites class is stacked and a top 10 overall was going to be real hard for him to do and he should be happy if he can get one here and there.

With the talent in the lites class, a couple top 10's here and there should get him a 450 ride. That and all these SX only contracts that seem to be the norm anymore.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…