DC10

May 25, 2005
Is it possible...and how difficult would it be...to convert the rear dual shock suspension on my son's Yamaha RT100 to a monoshock rear suspension. The bike fits him perfectly and he loves it...it's a great bike...however, he is beginning to jump a bit and the dual shock rear just doesn't seem to be made for that...any suggestions or recommendations?

DC10

May 25, 2005
Basically, would it be very difficult to do this mod?...................Does anyone know ANYTHING about maybe doing this????????? :bang:

Last edited:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
To convert to a mono shock you'll need a new frame and swing arm. Might as well get a new bike. The forks aren't any better than the shocks on that bike, so you'd need to replace those as well. The RT is a great bike (my first bike was one of those), but it sounds like your son is ready for a step up.

DC10

May 25, 2005
Yeah, I was thinking of that, too. Would it be better to go with an 80, 85 or 100? We also go to Currituck mx track on occassion, but ride alot of trails and hare scrambles, too. I'm also not sure of going 4-stroke or sticking with 2-stroke for him. The RT 100 is awesome (not overly aggressive) and I want to make sure he isn't intimidated by the aggressiveness of the 80, 85, 100 etc. Any recommendations?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
How old and big is your son?

Any of the mini race bikes are going to be much higher performance (more intimidating?) than his RT100, but they will jump MUCH better.

How about a Yamaha TTR125L? Not as hyper as a 2 stroke minicycle racer. Its a 4 stroke but not high maintenance like a 250F. Way better brakes, suspension and handling than his RT100. I think its about the same height and not much (if any) more power.

DC10

May 25, 2005
I had thought about the TTR125, but didn't know if the maintenance would be an issue and didn't realize that the size was about the same. I guess I figured that it was a much larger bike. Oh...that YZ150F looks like it is going to be awesome, I just wonder what the $$$$$ will be.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
TTR125's are great bikes and very low maintenance. My wife rides one and loves it. However, if your son has a real interest in MX and jumping, he would be better served with an MX bike. The TTR would need frame and suspension mods and then it would still be heavy and slow compared to a 85/100 two stroke.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'd say one of the smaller 4 strokes would be a good bike, almost anything is a huge step up in suspension and brakes from the RT. But if he is taking an interst in jumping or motocross he'll outgrow one of those pretty fast too. A KX100 would be good, but maybe a little too aggressive. Maybe someone makes a torque pipe or something to tame it a little.

I went from the 100 to an RT180, but very quickly moved to 125 after that.

Top Bottom