holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I arrived at Hodge Road at about 7:30 AM to take another crack at an Enduro. I figured 1.5 hours would be enough time to get ready, but by the time everything was done, I headed to the start with only 3.5 minutes to spare. "Yup, I've got all my Ducks in a row this time", I thought to myself.

When my minute came up, I rolled up to the start, sat there for a while and then noticed……I forgot to tape my time card to the fender. :( I turned around and headed back to the far end of the pits as my minute took off. After finding my time card and a couple of futile attempts to tape it on with gloved hands, I returned to the start 5 minutes late. Doh.

At the end of the first loop, it appeared that the course continued off to the right, but then stopped, with no further markers to be found. Several riders were milling around, trying to figure out where to go next, and a few even followed me on my two excursions to find the course. Anyone I asked said, "Go right" (with a chuckle, I'm sure). It finally occurred to me that I should just go to the start (although I didn't see anyone else doing this). At this point, I had lost at total of about 10 minutes just goofing around in or near the pit area, and I hadn't taken the time to add gas. Doh.

At the start of the third loop, I saw a rider waiting at the start. When I asked him what he was doing, he said, "I'm waiting for my clock to run down". I found that strange, since anyone would be far behind at that point in the race. I'd hit every check, so I decided to go back for gas and continue.

At one of the checks, I thought I had come across a father and son taking a break on the trail (and not involved in the Enduro). It was a check. Good thing I stopped, because they would have let me ride by without so much as a flinch.

This brings me back to the Cougar Buttes Enduro last November. I saw a three riders standing next to the trail, so I thought a rider had either crashed or had mechanical problems. I slowed down to look, but everything seemed OK (they just gave me a blank stare back). I continued without stopping. I realize now (months later) that this was a check, and it was the one I missed. Doh.

At least I finished this one, and yes, it was fun. :)

Last edited:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Yep a good time. I was confused like Holeshot. :confused: We did the same thing at the end of each loop. Although not knowing this enduro, as it was my 1st one. I believe I was told my class finished at the beginning of loop #3. I was hanging with thumbs (5th. place) until a slight get off in loop 2 dropped me back just a bit. Well I pulled up to the start of loop 3 and stopped. The guy there said turn your cards in over there, so I did and went and had a beer. After a while Old and Slow rode up and told me our finish was part way into loop three. So they DNF'd me... 12th place out of 21, I believe. :o Oh well it was a blast, I'd recomend doing it again.

Thanks to Thumbs, for leeting me tail his minute
Thanks to Eel and Captian Jack for being Chef boy r dee!

See you next race.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
At the harescrambles I'm doing in a couple of weeks we get id codes on our helmets...makes life a lot easier. At least you had a good time holeshot

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I 've just seen the results. The novice X class only went one loop, so that's why there were riders sitting around doing nothing at the end of that loop -their race was over. Doh

Scar - it must have been tough to take a new bike into that rocky enduro. Every scratch must have hurt. :eek:

Looks like the Electric Eel struck a win in our class. :cool:

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I suffered the dreaded DNF...I lost my front brakes half way through the first loop. The course was nasty . Sorry for all those guys I was holding up, I used low gears & compression braking for some of those nasty downhill sections, I had no choice!

Great loop, very challenging...good to meet more people from DRN (thumbs, scar tissue, Eel, Captian Jack) thanx for the open spot by the fire.

Matt

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Matt - you should've stuck around - we hung out for quite awhile bench racing and whatnot. It was nice to meet you ... choice beer selection by the way. Sorry to hear about the brakes - the course was clearly a bike-eater. They weren't kidding when they said to run at least 15 lbs. of air in your tires - the tire companies are gonna make a fortune off all the folks who need to replace their flats ! About 68 riders raced on Sunday ... 28 DNF'd. The course was ... shall we say ... a bit rocky.

Major thanks to the Captain for making hot food a reality ... his patience is ever appreciated. Of course the company was what made this so enjoyable ... Scar even offered to "light my face". :o And Thumbsy roosted my tent !!! I was telling Jack on the ride home how it's crazy that we drove 4 hours to race for about 3 and a half. But he hit it on the head when he pointed out that it was the experience as a whole that made it worthwhile. Holeshot, Thumbs, Old 'n' Slo, MCassle, Scar ... that's what Jack was talking about ... it's the people. Thanks for a great weekend. :)

Hope to see you at the Keg Run in April .... or sooner.
By the way, Scar's '01 WR 250F is an incredible bike ... serious fun.

Last edited:

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Had a great time. Lots of fun. We're getting better at camping and even had hot food this time. Hmmmm...we may be on to something here. Got my first flat ever at the end of the second loop, so I limped it back to camp skipping the last two check of the loop. I was having a great time haulin arse thru the desert though. Have to admit the whoops had pretty much wasted me by the time I got the flat. My lower back was so sore yesterday i could barely stand up. Too many hard hits + poor suspension = Man I'm sore. Feeling better today though. See y'all next time. :)

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
I had a great time. First Enduro and I beat 28 people. I`ll read some of those posts on timing before the next one. I was confused and lost at the end of each lap. I least I made it to the finish.

Thanks to Eel and Thumbs for getting me registered and to Captain Jack for the air. I guess you needed more air Jack!

Keep us posted for the next one. Can`t wait.

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
Cool, glad to hear everyone had a good time! It was a real bummer that the course was hard to follow, and so many people ended up DNF'ing the race. There were four guys that layed out the course, and all of them were injured in one form or another. That being the case, I don't think they were able to pre-ride the course and fill in the ribbon real good. Add that to the horrible wind blowing sings and ribbon off! Oh well, that's what we get for a low price race put on by volunteers every month.

I myself also ended up with a flat on the second loop. I had a little get off in a sandy corner before the second checkpoint of the loop, so I was trying to make up some time. When I came to one of the many rocky uphills, I decided to plow right up the center instead of finessing my way around to rocks and being safe. Within the next mile I got that good ole riding on snot feeling that was unmistakably a rear flat tire. Looks like a finish would have equaled a trophy too, since only 4 people in my class even finished!

All in all, it was another great outing. Not the best weather or grommed trail (althought better than the past two years), but a true "Enduro". Hope to see you all at the next outing!

For anyone wanting to learn more about Time Keeping, Tim Moore was supposed to give a time keepking class on riding possibles. I think he called it off due to the weather, but maybe we can get him to do it at the Keg Run!

deano...
VP TWMC
96 CR250
00 KTM65
98 PW80 (for sale)

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
...But he hit it on the head when he pointed out that it was the experience as a whole that made it worthwhile. Holeshot, Thumbs, Old 'n' Slo, MCassle, Scar ... that's what Jack was talking about ... it's the people.

That's not what I meant. I don't like those guys at all. I was referring to camping. I like fire & beer.:moon:

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
LOL

I didn't see any of the SoCal wrecking crew until after the race.

They had nude women at desert checkpoints back in the late 60's/early 70's ( I missed that era, so I'm going by hearsay). Now that would be an experience.

Ooops:eek: , TWMC runs family oriented Enduros. Nevermind.

Last edited:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by CPT Jack

I like fire & beer.:moon:

A man after my own heart. Don't you go touchin' my fire. :aj: This from the guy who wrote his nam ein the sand with gas and lit it. :confused:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I know what you meant Jack ... I was just attempting to humanize you a bit.

Heh heh ... heh heh ... Scar said "gas".

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I liked the idea of soaking scar's gloves in gasoline just for sh*ts & giggles.:eek:

That would be fun.:p

P.S. I wrote my name in the sand too...only not with premix. Ask The Eel, I didn't even leave the tent.:o

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by CPT Jack
[B
P.S. I wrote my name in the sand too...only not with premix. Ask The Eel, I didn't even leave the tent.:o [/B]

:scream: Ok, now we're starting to worry about you guys.

Congrats on your win Eel. That's very cool.:cool:

Good report guys.

Holeshot. MX, SX, GP, Super Motard and now an Enduro. You just may be my new hero. Dont tell elk though.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Alright guys, I'm a total spode for asking this, but what tires & pressure were you running for this area? This has to be one of the toughest areas I've ridden at, good God the rocks :o I was beginning to think my front tire turned into a rock magnet...

Matt

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thanx for the Congrats '89r ! I'm still kinda in shock that my time was what it was.

Matt - I think most of us ran like 15 - 17 up front, and maybe a little less out back. At the extreme end of the range was Brett R. He runs like 21 front & back !

Top Bottom