Runs, Stalls then backfires

jlkass

Dec 16, 2004
I have recently replaced my CDI on my 83 RM250 (no spark). I tried starting it (with the old plug still in it) and flooded it. I drained the excess fuel out, put new plug in it and fired it up. It was running ok for a minute or so - revved up ok, then it just died (like no fuel). After that, every few kicks I would get a backfire out the exhaust?? I have checked the flywheel - thats ok. There are no cracks in the intake boot, reeds are good and I have pulled the carby down and cleaned it.

When I pull the plug out, it is covered in fuel. Pretty sure floats are ok - the bike ran fine until the CDI **** itself.

The only other thing I changed was my fuel mix from 40:1 to 25:1. Could this be making a difference?

Any ideas???

Dockillemall

Sep 10, 2004
Backfire is back through the intake. Afterfire is out the exhaust. Backfire is lean. Afterfire is rich. Looks like you have a rich condition, maybe float is stuck open.

cr_kid

Aug 13, 2005
Your timming is to retarted, advance it slightly. You should also find that the engine wont run as hot as it used to.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…