Sad Day

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
There was a serious crash today at Hungry Valley / Gorman MX Track, in California today. A 16 year old girl was airlifted out. She apparently never regained consciousness and at times had no pulse. It was the third bad crash of the day, the second requring an airlift. The track was closed by local Sheriffs debuties in order to complete an accident investigation.

My 10 year old son didn't think people could die racing dirtbikes. I talked to him about it but I could tell it still bothered him, as it did eveyone.

If anyone knows of any news on her condition it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Walt

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
:( Sending out my Prayers..
Rick

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
They'll be in my prayers too.

These tragic incidents are happening too often. Regardless of how the riders were injured today, I'd like to see tracks putting more effort into safety. Limit the # of bikes on the track, stagger practice sessions by ability, more flaggers, etc....... Our sport needs a greater focus on safety at tracks.

I've ridden at Hungry Valley 3 times in the past two years. Each time I felt the safety issues were not taken seriously enough. The place is a zoo on weekends. After my last visit (9 months ago), I decided never to ride their again.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
EM Rider,

You raise a good point about the safety issues at Hungry Valley. I never really thought about it (fortunately I never needed to), but compared to LACR in Palmdale, things are much different. LACR has an onsite ambulance at all times and staggers practice based on abilities, bike size etc. With Hungry Valley so far out in the boonies, it takes a long time for fire and ambulance crews to arrive.

- Walt

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
damn, i have a 12 year-old daughter that races.

jinu

Jul 27, 2003
My 10 year old son didn't think people could die racing dirtbikes. I talked to him about it but I could tell it still bothered him, as it did eveyone.

i live in diamond bar,ca.
i have close friends who chose not to ride after an incident riding my xr-50....actually an accident that had them rushing to a emergency room to get stiched up...4 in the morning.
i sometimes go to hungry valley by myself and ride my yz250 alone.
this worries my friends...
what's the worst thing that could happen??....break a leg?
obviouly a lesson in this tragedy...u could die..

sadly the sport i grew love for, not only takes tremendous time.effort and money,
but a high risk of my well being.
is it all worth it?
i don't know..but i know this accident will be erased in my little heads by the time i twist that throttle.
i personally switched from street bikes to dirt bikes,safety was the factor.
i really dont like riding around 3000lb wrecking balls guided by who knows?

my prayer goes out to her and her family.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…