Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
I will be in the UP at Curtis for a few days and are planning a ride at Sandtown on 5-15 and then maybe on 5-16.

Anyone that wants to join in let me know.
Don

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Don Marsh said:
I will be in the UP at Curtis for a few days and are planning a ride at Sandtown on 5-15 and then maybe on 5-16.

Anyone that wants to join in let me know.
Don

Is that the trail out of Newberry that crosses the beaver dam?? Or did cross a beaver dam?

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Don't know, I have never rode it. I will be up there on a famialy excursion and figured it was worth a ride, I heard good things about it.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
I rode it quite a few years back. The memory is a little fuzzy....but I think it's W-SW of Newberry?? Just W of Curtis?? Fun trail, from what I remember. Tight with some elevation. Good stuff.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Yam7M said:
Is that the trail out of Newberry that crosses the beaver dam?? Or did cross a beaver dam?

No it doesn't cross a beaver dam - it used to cross what the DNR called an earthen dam that held back/created McAlpine Pond - they drained the pond last year and supposedly will be removing the earthen dam this summer (the dam was also the 2 track to where we usually camped). the trail went directly across this earthen dam/2 track and thus was a great place to camp because you were camping within a few feet of the trail itself. I understand that the trail has already been re-routed in preparation of the 2 track/dam removal.

Sand Town has opened up quite a bit over the years (not as tight) but is still one of my favorite U.P. rides (we'll be there over the memorial weekend).

It is SW of Newberry - just west off M-117 - take Sand Town Rd to the staging area (it's signed off M-117). With a name like sand town, you'd think it might be all sand - actually there isn't much, it's mostly loam - nice traction - as mentioned, with some elevation changes - hopefully there'll still be some trees down from the winter storms to jump.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Cool. Thanks for the refresher. I didn't know what type of dam it was.....but it was a damn dam, that's for sure!! Getting across that was quite a challenge when I was there, from what I remember. I remember the 2 track....then all of a sudden..yikes.

I remember some tight stuff?? And you're right....next to no sand.

It's been awhile...but from what I remember, the Two Hearted system just north of there near Muskelunge Lake had some pretty good sections too?? I stayed at a place in Deer Park, right on the lake, that was nearly on Lake Superior, that was pretty cool. Lots of trail. Been awhile though.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Yam7M said:
Cool. Thanks for the refresher. I didn't know what type of dam it was.....but it was a damn dam, that's for sure!! Getting across that was quite a challenge when I was there, from what I remember. I remember the 2 track....then all of a sudden..yikes.

I remember some tight stuff?? And you're right....next to no sand.

It's been awhile...but from what I remember, the Two Hearted system just north of there near Muskelunge Lake had some pretty good sections too?? I stayed at a place in Deer Park, right on the lake, that was nearly on Lake Superior, that was pretty cool. Lots of trail. Been awhile though.

I think you might be thinking of Bass Lake - where before IT was re-routed some years back there WAS a beaver dam that we had to cross (and it was quite interesting with some fairly deep water on either side) - the dam at Sand Town has never been any challenge whatsoever as it's really just a dirt/sandy 2 track.
the 2 hearted system reminds me of riding downstate (whoops and sand) so I don't bother to ride there although as you say, there are a couple of interesting sections but quite short. the camping on the lake was the best part of that trail (IMO).
Bass lake is also still one of my favorite trails in the U.P. even without the "real" dam any longer - it has a good variety of trail and terrain types.

If you want more technical: go east - Drummond Is. (although I've been told it's all quadded out now the past 2 years) - plus Birch Hill and Foreman Lake (both nice trail and more rock/technical than most U.P. stuff)

Top Bottom