saturday nite thunder series, round 3 ascot park

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i went 1/2 for first overall in the 40+ class. i got a little help this time. my main rival crashed in the first moto and finished 6th. he beat me in the second moto but i still got the overall. i should now have the series points lead back that i gave up last race. they score the series by moto and he and i are going head to head. so far i have scores of 2,1,2,2,1,2 and he has 1,2,1,1,6,1. this should be a battle to the end. we were the fifth moto out of 22 so it was nice to get out of there at a decent hour. my daughter raced women's open but was the only rider so she got a gimme. they put her in with the 60 beginner class and she ran 7th out of 11 against the boys. motox 757 and his son raced too. it was his son's first race. i'll let them tell you about it.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by bscottr
Note to self: Don't try to race this guy at DW '02. ;)

i consider that a compliment but how do you know our whole class isn't slow?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Yeah, right. The 40+ class here in Bama is one of the fastest classes on the track.

(BTW, I've seen Jay on a track, and he ain't what you would call slow.) :D

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by mx547
i consider that a compliment
As intended! :)
Originally posted by mx547
but how do you know our whole class isn't slow? [/B]
For you to have all those 1, 2 finishes? Can't fool me. ;)
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
Yeah, right. The 40+ class here in Bama is one of the fastest classes on the track.
(BTW, I've seen Jay on a track, and he ain't what you would call slow.) :D
Jay.....can't fool JP either. :moon:............... :)

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Another great night at the track by the state border, Ascot Park. I didn’t do as well this round as round 2, oh well… For me, all my mind was on, was my son wanting to try MX racing for the first time. He has been riding now for 3 1/2 years (Z50 for 2 years and for the past year and a half, an XR80). He loves to ride the trails, but MX was something he just didn’t want to try till this past weekend. His mom talked him into at least trying it once. He reluctantly said he would try. On the trip down he was getting exciting about racing. When we got there we set up our pit and he was itching to get on his bike. We went down and signed up and waited for the practice sessions. Once the moto order was announced I was bit bummed. The over 40 moto was right before his moto. I thought, that sucks, I wouldn’t be able to be there at the start line with him for his first start. But, the track operator watered the track before the first set of motos and of course the peewee classes are first, and it wasn’t a pretty sight to watch all those minis sliding around on the slick stuff. The track operator had the ATV’s go out after the watering, but there were still some very slick spots. SO, they had to re-run a few peewee motos, AND I got to be there for his first start. (Side note, I did miss the start for the first over 40 moto due to the wrangling around of the peewee moto order, again, oh well…) His start was slow off the line (to be expected, the track has a concrete start pad), he did very well, kept it on two wheels and finished 10th out of 11 racers (in his class he was 9th out of 10 racers.). In this particular series, the first eight positions get plaques or trophies. I told him between motos that all he had to do was finish one place higher to get a trophy. He was stoked about the racing. After the second moto (in which he finished the same as the first moto) he was bit bummed. When I finally got him to talk he said, “I thought if I got a good start that I would finish higher.” I told him that he had a great race and shouldn’t be bummed about his finish. I told him that it is all about the trying.

And now comes the good part…

…mx547 went down to the tower and spoke to the track operator about getting my son a trophy. He did this with out me asking. mx547 is s regular at this track, so he has got some pull. Well, mx547 told me what he did, so I woke up my slumbering son (it was around midnight by this time) and had him walk with me to the tower to get my trophies. I told the operator what motos I was in, got my trophies, and then asked about my son’s finish. He told me, then he got out a trophy for the boy. My son’s whole attitude did a 180 at that point. He was so excited! He ran back to our pit and showed mx547 and his daughters his new trophy. He was so excited about his new trophy that he didn’t sleep on the ride home till the last hour of a two-hour drive…

…Thanks, mx547…

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Very cool MX547. Wish I could have been there. I'm really bummed about missing the race. MX, can you get ME a trophy so I'll feel better?

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Glad to hearyour doing well Jay.

Yep we had to listen to bSwift cry about not being at the race Saturday night. Do you believe it, he's at an enduro and is wishing he was at a MX race. :think:

As far as MX547 being fast yes he's fast. Here's a picture of him chasing down Jeff Freddette in the A/B race at DW01. Mx547's on the inside http://www.dirtrider.net/cgi-bin/photopost/index.pl?photo=112f the corner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom