scilencer rivets???

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
in my 96cr250 i have a pc pipe and scilencer and the rivets on the scilencer the back rivets (the end where the scilencer fit into the pipe) keep coming loose. it leaks exaust. i think it has to do w/ too much vibration. my pipe springs also vibrate against the pip and i can hear it. i know its not crank bearings causing the vibration but i think its from an o ring where the pipe connects to the cylinder. any thoughts?

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
my friend has a 93 rm125 with a prociruit silencer and has the same problem. He said the heck with it and welded the rivets in! Heck of a way to fix it but it doesnt come apart any more.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
he used a 225 amp welder, he had some type of alumminum sticks, i have know idea what brand, just see if you can use a welder and weld that baby up.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
You can tap the holes and use some bolts instead of rivets. The metal is thin but as long as you don't overtighten and use loctite then it may hold up. If not, you can have someone tack weld some nuts to the inside of the silencer end plate and use bolts.
Scott

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Figure out which size bolt is slightly larger than the existing holes. Drill the hole to the recommended tap size the thread with the tap. Don't overtighten, you'll probably only get a thread or two due to the thin metal.
Use a lock washer and loctite to help keep them in place.
Scott

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
You could try Bulbex rivets as they provide a far better clamping force in thin materials than standard pop rivets but can still be fitted using a standard rivet gun,. For a picture to explain this better go HERE good luck :)

HLT

Sponsoring Member
Dec 15, 2000
You might try steel pop rivets instead of aluminum. I've also used sheet metal screws with loctite and have had good luck with that setup.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
this helps explain why my new PC spark arrestor is leaking at the seams in the rear to a certain degree.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…