scilencer

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
i have a 96cr250 and it runs great. the only thing that is messed up on it is the scilencer is losing the rivets in it. they wobble loose and the back section of it is loose same w/ the front of it. should i buy a new scilencer($85) or get it weld. i like the way my bike runs now so i dont want to change anything. i thought about getting my friend who works in an autobody to weld it up. not shut but to reinforce where it is riveted together. this would be a temporaty fix but could work i think. id take it apart n clean it up real good then have him possibly weld a collar around it and in it where it bolts together? its aluninum(sp?) so welding is tricky. could i possibly get some steel collars and have them weld on? im new to welding and everything about it so just tell me if this is goofy.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You need to fix this. If the end cap wobbles, it will eventually break the perforated tube inside. Why not just try drilling new holes and putting new rivets in those? When you reinstallt he end caps seal them with some hi-temp silicone.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Where the silencer is mounted to the subframe there should be some rubber bung things(:-P) to reduce the vibrations, are these worn out or gone completely? Are you getting the rivets in tight enough? Have you tried self tapping screws instead of the rivets?

Hope some of that helps,
Philip

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002

I agree with the need to fix, but take it one step further than rivets. Why not drill the rivits out, replace with self-Tapping screws. That way you can replace your packing when needed.

Just my .02,
Phillip

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Zenith
Have you tried self tapping screws instead of the rivets?

Hope some of that helps,
Philip

Damn Irishmen, all of one mind :thumb:

Phillip

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
ive tryed that. there isnt mucj room left for rivets. ill just buy another one.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Why buy another one, just put some sheet metal screws or whatever in where the rivits used to be. Then you can wrap electrical tape around all the screws so that they are sure not to move.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…