SCORE-Best of the desert @ laughlin last weekend

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Stiles Racing Pro-truck #217
My first time as co-driver in a Pro-truck sorta went like this…
Thursday night was the Laughlin leap...jump contest in front of the stands. It was a ramp with an 8ft drop off that you hit at 6o+ mph. We didn’t do that one, got there too late. I thought that’s cool just take it out for the race, they said no your going to love it. I did!!! We went over the jump every lap (4 laps each day)with single whoops that would knock your ass end about 6 feet in the air if you didn’t hit’em just right.
It was a 2 truck side by side start every 30 seconds. The first day we rolled the Truck in front of the grand stands, got rolled back on our wheels then took off again, dragging some of the fence for two more laps (13 miles each lap) the fans loved it. We keep saying what’s burning? Turns out it was the plastic fence wrapped around the axel. However losing transmission fluid while on our side, then 3rd gear was slipping. So we changed transmissions that night.
Both days we got the hole shot, on the second day we got passed on the long straight away leaving pits on the first lap, then we passed them on the ruff stuff. In fact everything was ruff out of the infield. The motors are supposed to be identical(yea right)!
Then we got a flat at the end of the second lap running in 2nd place and had to drive slowly through the entire infield. Nobody even caught us until we were just getting ready to leave, that’s how far of a lead we had on the rest of the pack.
Now more work, on the far end of the loop, just after the 3 truck pile up, we came to a up hill section with mountain on the left, cliff to the right & we got behind a truck that was sort of stuck then he buried us with dirt and rocks then we got stuck, then rear ended by the truck that we passed first lap in the ruff. Knocked his power steering out he was done, with only minor damage to our truck. Mean while they found a hill climb and re-routed the trucks behind us, so much for blocking the course. Well after getting pulled out and a couple of great passes one good rear end tap and almost rolled’em which got their attention and let us around.
So after all of that we still finished 9th over both days. Keep an eye on speed vision it will be broadcasted soon and you can see us on our side with my face in the sand. One spectacular crash a trophy truck went over a bump in front of the stands and did a “3 roll” end over end. The first 2 without touching the ground. That was before we ran the first day so I had that to think about to help calm my nerves.
Not bad for my first race huh? I guess I’m ready to drive now.
Go here for more inf.
http://www.score-international.com

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
That sounds like a blast! Did you see a few years ago (may have been the same race?) when the course was laid out in a circuit like that and had a road crossing that fell away on the backside. I remember video of the Herbst truck hitting it absolutely flat freakin' out and flying a mile before landing. The in car camera showed the co driver give a HUGE HUGE thumbs up once he realized he was alive.

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Didn't see that one, but we did the road crossing's twice each lap (total of 16 times) The very last time the truck almost went completly sideways, I said the my buddy " Jim" the driver that was a nice pitch sideways and he replied I didn't do that on purpose! Ha!:)

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I was supposed to be there this weekend but last minutes plans changed that. I really want to get out and see one of these races up close. Sounds like you had a great time Chris.

I'll be your co-pilot when you are ready.:scream:

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Yo Thumbs! Yea you missed a good one. Short course for the vultures, I mean spectators. So you’re ready to co-drive. Okay all we need is about a hundred and fifty thousand to get started.
Hey did you guys ride Sunday?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom