Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I just got a 98 kdx 220 at a screamin deal and it's in awesome shape!! No more 83 kdx200 for me! (Though I must admit my 83 has more deep bottom end - right off idle). I'm getting the acerbis light with the double halogen bulbs. Anyone tried these lights? Do KDX stators have enough juice to drive those halogens? I love this bike!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I just run one bulb (the other just sits there waiting to be smashed or as a spare in case the running bulb blows). I don't run a tail light (never bothered replacing it after it blew the last time). Stock the stator puts out 35w - stock front 25w & rear 10w. I've had the same bulb for almost a year (since I smashed the stock headlight). Not as bright as a TTR250 or similar, but it does me fine for what I need it as (mainly a marker, but occasionally even use it for riding in the dark/twilight).
Check out the kdx website for mods you can do (if the previous owner hasn't already).

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Carvr's bike has duals, but I couldn't tell ya how they work, I was too busy eatin' his dust! :(

My light recently started to go dim, I don't know what is up with that :think:

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I have the DHH dual headlight that was on the bike when I bought it. It is also very dim. You can barely tell their on and I don't know why either.

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
hmm so maybe I shouldn't get that headlight and instead get the stocker. 35W system is lame. I may just upgrade to a moose stator for 80 bucks and have plenty of current for a good tail light and dual headlight beams.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The oem coil will not run a dual headlight system...even if you have 25watters in it (they come with 35watters. Well, my acerbis did).

Elextrex is on the web. The 'rating' of their unit changes depending on whose label you read. It's either 65 or 70 watts. That is the unit that comes from moose (last I checked).

Rickystator is another option. He's on the web, too.

The lights come in a variety of angles. A suggestion: Run one narrow, one wide beam. 25W bulbs run only a few bucks (from steahlyoffroad anyway. No, I don't order from chuck...I drive down the street and buy them all by myself. He's on the web, too. I'm sure he'd be more'n glad to send you anything he's got!).

re: dim/dimmer/out Ha! Yep..those lucas systems were great, 'eh?

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I've got the Acerbis Dual system as well. My coil won't light both of them at the same time so I wired it to run one at a time and it's great. I put a switch so I can switch back and forth if I want to or turn it off. I still think it's a cool light.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you wire a switch into the 'H' model, be sure you include the VR with either/both headlights. You must include the red (to taillight and VR). Failure to do so will result in very bright lights.

..for a split second! ;)

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
Well I put it on order anyways. I'm going to run just the wide beam 35 watt and build a rear brake light out of LED's that way I will have a back up headlight, be able to run 35watt head lamp and the tail should draw less than 5 watts. Should be pretty sweet. I almost sprung for the acerbis hp light which runs a 55/60 H4 bulb. THEN I'd have to get a bigger stator. Can those halogen bulbs be found at a car parts store or where?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I put in an electrex coil.

Don't know about boulder, but hereabouts the best place to get the halogen bulbs is steahly offroad that's just down the road. Mr. Chuck sells 'em for just a few bucks. I haven't looked for another source.

If you don't find them at a car parts store, try your local ace place or somesuch hardware store.

Top Bottom