gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
So i tore apart my top end cuz i thought my top end blew. so i took off the cylinder to check things out. well come to find out one of my reeds had come off the cage and got into my crank. needless to say the reed was destroyed. i think i ended up over tightening the screws and it stripped out. so i was able to get all the pieces of the reed out, but one little corner.

as u can see, it did left some pretty knarly scratches on my crank. how bad are they? do i have to get a new crank? or do u think this one is still fine?

maybe i'm dumb, but scratches on the crank doesn't sound that bad. so i just wanted to get some opinions on this.

2706582_bigthumb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2706605_bigthumb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Those scratch's won't hurt anything. You must make sure that every peice of reed and anything else is out. If you've got everything out and it didn't chew up the reed to bad unlikey your seals are damaged since they are outboard of the crank bearings.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Nice pics at 2736px × 3648px! A lesson learned?

Yeah, now that's how you post a pic!

Clear, in focus, and HUGE.

I'm with those guys up there.. Make sure you get all of the broken reed out, and very possibly replace the seals.

gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
i'm gonna try and get the last little piece out, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to. it's really small, it's like a inch in diameter, but i know that could still do some damage. i'm just glad that every1 is sayin i'm fine, cuz i'm not in the mood to throw another 5 hundo at my bike...i sent my cylinder off to get replated.

oh, and thanx for the comments.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
spilt the cases and get any debri out.,,no matter how large o rhow small.

it will save you doing it later, on top of replacing more parts

this is diffinantly a do it corectly * now*, or do it later at greater expense , situation ;)

the scratches shouldnt be any problem..

the fact there is surface rust is a little weird though..??

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
AJ Waggoner said:
spilt the cases and get any debri out.,,no matter how large o rhow small.

it will save you doing it later, on top of replacing more parts

this is diffinantly a do it corectly * now*, or do it later at greater expense , situation ;)

the scratches shouldnt be any problem..

the fact there is surface rust is a little weird though..??

Looks like it went for a swim at some point eh?

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
I note that you say a reed broke off and that you might have stripped out a reed screw. Did you find the screw or did it stay in place and just the reed broke off and got ingested?

Hate to see ya get it all buttoned back up and forget the screw

gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
mandark1967 said:
I note that you say a reed broke off and that you might have stripped out a reed screw. Did you find the screw or did it stay in place and just the reed broke off and got ingested?

Hate to see ya get it all buttoned back up and forget the screw
yeah, i got all the screws. it was weird, i think i kinda went into shock when i pulled the cage out, cuz it really doesn't make sense to me. i just took it apart w/o really thinkin what happened.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom